1984 Tokai Goldstar Sound ST50

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK.

Goldies are 64 copies, not 62. Cap board not slab.

however also in 1984 Tokai changed the headstock shape to a non Fender style shape, so this guitar must have been made right in the middle of those two changes in 1984 making it more rare

Nonsense, they made them like that till some point in the late 80s for the UK market. There were lots sold in the UK in 84/85, so they're not rare. Nice Strats though.

Another great thing about this guitar is that although most Goldstars came with 'E' stamped pickups, this one has the more popular 'U' stamped pickups which you normally only get with the Springy Sounds from 1983 or earlier.

Nonsense, most Goldies have Us or V1s. Es are on higher models. I prefer Us.

also the serial number which is L09275, a relatively low number compared to the others I have seen here on eBay.

Serial numbers on Goldies don't indicate date of manufacture. L numbers are copies of the numbers Fender used in '64.

But those are details, it looks nice, you know I love Goldies. I assume it will go for the usual sort of Goldie price.

So all in all minor details really :lol:

Might keep my eye on it as I'm gassing for a new guitar and I don't have a Tokai strat yet.

Curious about Lace pickups so maybe this might be a donor guitar! Then again I fancy Bareknuckles too!

LuBee said:

Yep. He obviously tried hard, shame he's got so much silly stuff wrong!

I put 2 Voodoo ST60s into my white Goldie last week, along with the Twangbanger at the bridge. Seems to be a very good combination.

Lace pickups are too modern & clinical for my tastes. Even EC has dropped them now. :eek:

stratman323 said:
LuBee said:

Yep. He obviously tried hard, shame he's got so much silly stuff wrong!

I put 2 Voodoo ST60s into my white Goldie last week, along with the Twangbanger at the bridge. Seems to be a very good combination.

Lace pickups are too modern & clinical for my tastes. Even EC has dropped them now. :eek:

I'll probably end up with Bare Knuckles out of the two, something hotter than vintage I think.

Good, I'll be interested to hear what you think about the BKs. I have the BK P91s, but I haven't tried their Strat pickups.

Did you check out the sound clips recorded at the Leeds convention earlier this year? I think there are 3 Goldies & 2 Springys as well as a Bacchus.

Back