1981 springy sound finish and wood

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc

Reaction score
Hi
anyone knows what type of wood and finish Tokai were using back in 1981 for their springy sound?
The guitar i have is a 81 st55 with natural finish that can be seen in this post by carlovee:
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2823&highlight=st55
It s the same, litterally the same, weird hein!!!
The finish looks pretty thick
nitro or poly???
ash or alder???

The ST-50/55's normally have alder bodies and that's what it looks like in the pictures. The finish is probably poly but it's normally quite thin, all Tokai's I've owned have had a thin finish. Maybe it has been refinished, was/is there any color code in the control cavity? It looks like this (1984 TST-50, MR = metallic red):

Image002.jpg

Mike

The finish is i think original, if i remove the pickguard, i can clearly see a difference in colour due to almost 30 years of use. The control cavity has been sprayed with shielding paint but i can see 1=3 in the neck pickup cavity, and at the end of the neck too. No colour code though, maybe coz it s a natural finish???

Well, the Goldstar Sound strats have an N for natural stamped in the control cavity, I don't know if it was the same on the Springy's. My own 1982 Springy also has shielding paint in all cavities.

Both my Goldstars ('84 and '85) have the code in the control cavity though.

Mike

Latest posts

Back