1981 Springy on eBay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JJMcG said:
Mick51 said:
What about the body on this ST-60? Has it been refin'd or oversprayed? I can't see any markings. Neck looks okay, at least to my untrained eye.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1981-Tokai-ST-6...13?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item255a338845

if its original - looks to me like flamingo orange (fiesta red) but that's a custom colour and should would make the ax a st 55, no?

I also think you pay alot for the novelty of it saying springy and having the old logo

Notice how it has E pups, not seen them on any st50's and a 55 is a custom colour of a 50, I used to have a stringy with block logo, it had U pups, that was a 55

Hi, the pickups are telling me it's ST-60, and the colour FO flamingo orange, is what it looks like. So technically a ST-65 then....but ST-60 is 8)
It would sure be nice to get a better close up of the pickup cavities and control cavity to see if any stamp markings are readable.

Here is the link to Peter Mac's Tokai Finishes.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb160/Peter_Mac/STcolor.jpg

Mick

Looks all original to me. I love that color too. Nothing like Fiesta Red (or Flamingo Orange as they call it) on a strat. Nice!
How about the price?

I have a flamingo orange goldie strat - toying with the idea of adding a 3 ply pearl plate - would love to see some pics of examples if anyone has them...

I wasnt disputing the 60 - just thought that the custom colours were restricted to the 50 series. Pardon the ignorance.

I personally think you could save yourself 100 dollars and get a goldstar, but I can see the appeal of the 7okai logo

Oh and judging from the fade to bare wood in the neck pocket and the hint of bare wood in the pickup cavity (in the shot of the backside of the pots) I'd say its an original colour and not a respray. It should have the same code as the heel of the neck and say FO.

MIJvintage said:
3rd from last pic partially shows a code in the control route :wink:

you should buy it ...............

Thanks, MIJ. I completely missed seeing the fragment of the code in that photo. Pretty much clears it up for me.

If I branch out into Strats, I'm a dead man. I have bought from Hiro, and he has taken good care of me in the past.

Mick51 said:
If I branch out into Strats, I'm a dead man. I have bought from Hiro, and he has taken good care of me in the past.

I was playing a very cheap SGII when I was a teenager, then I switched to a Strat when I treated myself to my first one, for my 20th birthday :D
It took a lot of patience getting used to my first Strat.
Nearly nine months went by, and I was almost ready to sell it before I started getting comfortable with it :-?

I pretty much played a Strat for 15 to 20 years but I've been getting into the Les Pauls for about ten years now.

I like both the Strat & the Les Paul but a Strat will always be my favorite.
IMO it is a much more versatile tool than a Les Paul will ever be 8) ...............

Bought my first Domestic Fender JV from hiro.
It got damaged either by EMS in Japan or over here in the US, due to it being dropped and not enough padding in the box.
He refunded me some money for it, so I am cool with him, very good communication.
The JV is a beauty by the way :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33509502@N00/sets/72157623654701248/

Maybe looking to grab my first Tokai Springy, and Fiesta Red just makes it even better 8)

triniloverock said:
Bought my first Domestic Fender JV from hiro.
It got damaged either by EMS in Japan or over here in the US, due to it being dropped and not enough padding in the box.
He refunded me some money for it, so I am cool with him, very good communication.
The JV is a beauty by the way :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33509502@N00/sets/72157623654701248/

Maybe looking to grab my first Tokai Springy, and Fiesta Red just makes it even better 8)

The JV looks fine.... what's damaged on it?

Right side neck pocket got a hairline crack (with paint chipped off) from the corner up into under the pickguard. Paint chipped off the bottom button strap. It looks like the package fell on the guitar butt, cause it had pushed through both the leather softcase and the packaging. I must say Fenders are tough cookies !

triniloverock said:
Right side neck pocket got a hairline crack (with paint chipped off) from the corner up into under the pickguard. Paint chipped off the bottom button strap. It looks like the package fell on the guitar butt, cause it had pushed through both the leather softcase and the packaging. I must say Fenders are tough cookies !

They're built to fall off your strap at a gig, flop around on the floor like a fish, pick it up and get back to it..... might have a few bruises on it but good to go.

Latest posts

Back