1981 LS-80 - original bridge or newer Gibson Bridge ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Z

Reaction score
I just received my 1981 LS-80 today, and must say I am really impressed with the guitar as a whole. The guy who owned it before me replaced the stock bridge with a newer Gibson bridge. Having been a Strat player all my life, I am not very familiar with these Gibson bridges. The original bridge is in the case and has what appears to be brass saddles, and looks to be in good shape to me. The new bridge has what appears to be steel saddles, but they have not been cut at all for string slots. This works fine if you are just playing chords and not bending the strings, but the strings slide badly when I bend them (especially the high E). My inclination is to just put the original bridge back on and use that. The other option is to cut string slots in the new bridge. Which is the better option and why? I assume the brass and steel may sound a bit different. My only interest is better sound and playability, over whether or not the guitar is all original.

Much appreciated

If the original bridge hasn't "fallen" I would put it back in asap. I personally prefer the brass saddles. Congrats on LS80 - they're great guitars.

Cheers.

Thanks Ryan

I put the original bridge back in and while the string bending is better (i.e. no slipping) the tone is not quite as bright with a tad less sustain. I think I am going to look into other bridge options (probably the Callaham ABR-1 replacement bridge), or just file some slots in the Gibson bridge.

t

Callaham gets rave reviews, but you might consider Faber as well. Very nice stuff as well. Cheers.

RyanC said:
Callaham gets rave reviews, .

Yeah, and they are not cheap either. I have Callaham vintage bridges in both of my Strats and they are awesome. Thanks for the heads up on the Faber; never heard of them before.

Hi,

A while ago I posted a topic about my original Tokai bras saddle bridge and how dull it sounded and I got very little response or people agreeing with me. However, it seems that your previous owner had exactly the same experience as I had with my '79 LS100 Reborn namely that especially the G, B and E strings were sounding dull, matt and as you say with little sustain.

I have bought an the improved Faber ABR bridge with bras saddles in aged condition and it solved all my problems. I retained the original look of the guitar, but with far superior tonality and sustain. It brought my guitar back to life!

I strongly recommend it to you as well.

Cheers,

Joop

Hi,

A while ago I posted a topic about my original Tokai bras saddle bridge and how dull it sounded and I got very little response or people agreeing with me. However, it seems that your previous owner had exactly the same experience as I had with my '79 LS100 Reborn namely that especially the G, B and E strings were sounding dull, matt and as you say with little sustain.

I have bought an the improved Faber ABR bridge with bras saddles in aged condition and it solved all my problems. I retained the original look of the guitar, but with far superior tonality and sustain. It brought my guitar back to life!

I strongly recommend it to you as well.

Cheers,

Joop

Hi Joop and thanks for the feedback. After doing more research, I ordered the Faber Tone Lock with natural brass saddles on Saturday. Should be here this week. You described pretty well exactly what I am getting from my guitar, with the G,B and E stings being a bit dead and lifeless (especially up high). Hoping the new bridge makes a big improvement. :)

No worries Tim, hope you ordered the aged version, it will look the treat on your guitar!

I am confident that you will be very pleased with your purchase. Let us know how you get on.

Joop

I have Schaller bridge in my ALC-55 (I think it is this http://schaller-guitarparts.de:80/hp14658/STM-C.htm?ITServ=CY2f588aafX127238b0825XY585e) and I think it's very good. I ordered same kind of bridge for other Tokai too. :D

numbie/Petri

Latest posts

Back