1980 Greco SE800 Whammy Bar Replacements?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmarsh

Reaction score
Hey knowledgeable forum dudes!

I just purchased an absolutely awesome 1980 Greco SE800 from one of our forum members. The guitar sounds and plays great! BUT The guitar does not have a whammy bar so I wanted to see if you guys new where I could get a replacement. Do All Parts or modern/vintage reissue Fender whammy bars fit? Or will I spend the rest of my life trying to track down an old Greco bar?

Thanks!

I went to Guitar Center and they let me try a few before I found one that fit my 1979 SE-600. It's up for sale again by the way.

LarryC said:
so which one fits? I need one for mine too..

The trem bar from my mid 90s USA Fender Strat fits and works fine. Although it seems to not screw in as far as on the Fender. Totally functional and looks just fine.

**And I might add that I had someone come up to me and tell me my Super Real SE800 sounded better than my American Strat with Fralin pickups...no joke. It stays in tune better when I use the whammy as well :wink:

And I might add that I had someone come up to me and tell me my Super Real SE800 sounded better than my American Strat with Fralin pickups...no joke.

did they look at the headstock first? usually when they see the logo is not a Fender they sometimes change their mind and won't admit it sounds better. there is a stigma/bias regarding "copies". I see it all the time and just laugh :roll:

I got an se380 and the pickups are cool

what pups are on yours?

mine have yellow cloth lead covering wire

LarryC said:
And I might add that I had someone come up to me and tell me my Super Real SE800 sounded better than my American Strat with Fralin pickups...no joke.

did they look at the headstock first? usually when they see the logo is not a Fender they sometimes change their mind and won't admit it sounds better. there is a stigma/bias regarding "copies". I see it all the time and just laugh :roll:

Not this particular time, but definitely have seen people come up after a set, see the headstock, and their face just changes ;) . People just don't want to accept that the two big American companies don't have a corner on quality.

In my opinion, the current incarnations of Fender and Gibson are nothing like what they were originally, sad. So if they have lowered quality and relied on their name and the Guitar Center monopoly to sell us junk, why should we feel bad about buying something as good or better for half the price from Japan.

Sorry to rant haha, but these companies that skimp on quality and then use "made in the USA" are a disgrace. IMHO, I imagine Leo would be angry by some of the junk that has come out of fender over the years. That said, I have a "real fender" from '96 that plays well and sounds good, and I'm sure plenty of junk has come out of Japan as well.

Back