1959 Les paul

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BaggyPants said:
Old wood, new wood, it's all good wood. How do we know that the closer grained stuff of today isn't going to sound better than the stuff from 30 - 50 years ago in a few decades ? Answer: We don't, but hopefully we'll live to find out :D

Talking with a japanese luthier from ESP, he said that the woods that were dried "traditionnally" were far better than the one dried in the "ovens" like EVERY guitar brands do nowadays. And even in the wood dried in ovens, there good and bad method to do it.

It seems that the woods naturally dried are dried more uniformly while the oven dried woods dry to much here but not enough there.

Old wood, new wood, it's all good wood. How do we know that the closer grained stuff of today isn't going to sound better than the stuff from 30 - 50 years ago in a few decades ? Answer: We don't, but hopefully we'll live to find out

thats my point!!!!! not better not worse....its DIFFERENT thats all.....

to ME old wood sounds better ...but I'm not saying it IS better as my view is totally subjective.....go play them , compare them and make a choice on what you hear ...so simple...so much angst...unnecessary really...

I am simply stating the different ways the woods are produced and treated...thats it ..

man, guitar players are serious eh? Ya think drummers talk about their drum sticks the same way?

hey guys, get with the program....those tokai pics tudor & someone else posted of a neck tenon are not tenons at all....it's a ROUTE designed to look like a tenon. the neck doesn't extend in past the edge of the pup cavity. but tokai routed out the bottom of the pup cavity to simulate the look of a tenon...which is really part of the NECK which extends into the cavity.

if you look closely you can see. I have an '81 love rock that is the same as those pics as well.

they are great guitars, ( I know, I have one!!) but that is no "neck tenon"

I believe some of the higher model tokai's do actually have them, but I have never seen one.

About old wood and new wood...As i told before I haven?t tried any Reborn stil.. I can say I have tried an old Ibanez AR-300 and several LS320 and altough the neck on '81 AR-300 is really confortable and fast, I feel the 320s more responsive guitars and with a fatter sound,more focused as a Les Paul, the AR-300 is more versatil.If I had to keep one I would choose the 320 sure. Again,never tried an old Gibson so I cannot comment on it...

bolero,

The neck cavity and the "tenon" of my '85 LS150 are looking identical to these "borrowed" '79 LS120 pics ...

... she hasn't got a tenon - just a set neck - I wonder why !!?? :-?

It's difficult to see sometimes - depends on the angle of the photographer's line of sight ... but the shadows make it clear, there's nothing inside the provided gap ... :oops:

... so - you're right !! 8)

Roger

The thing I notice about Tokai tenons is that they come to the pickup pocket and the fit to the body is perfect. Any wood coming further would be mostly redundant, as there would only be a tiny sliver of it left in the bottom of the pickup rout. I think I prefer the idea of my LC80's tenon being a perfect fit and extending right up to the rout, over the modern gibson one, which stops before the rout and is not connected to the body at all points. Has anyone seen the picture of the present Les Paul Standard cut down the middle ? The modern neck tenon fit on the Gibson is appalling :eek: A bolt on neck has more body/neck contact :roll:

I found the photo I was talking about:

tenon.jpg

Top is a present day Gibson USA tenon, bottom is the Gibson Historic. As you can see, the present day tenon has very little contact with the body at the bottom, compared to the Historic, which touches at all points and extends up to, and beyond, the pickup rout. The Tokai tenons are more like the Historic version, except that they only go to the cavity, without the extra lug underneath. Of the present day Gibson and Tokai tenons, the Tokai is clearly of a far better quality :D

sneakyjapan said:
OH. Well then, maybe you should change your name to SmartyPanyts?

No need for that, mate. I thought some might be interested to see the photo. There's no doubting that Tokai tenons, both old and new, are superior to the modern Gibsons, and only missing the end 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 1/2" of the Historics tenon. I didn't realise that being knowledgable about stuff made you a smartass, so I'll shut the hell up then :roll:

no need for...fun? OK sorry...I`ll try to be more serious ALL the time then. Just thought I`d try a little levity because this thread has become quite Harmony Central-esque...but no more. No sir-ee I`m gonna change MY handle to Mr. Serious. So...where were we...oh yes...old wood versus new.....mmmmm.... lost my train of thought.

sneakyjapan said:
no need for...fun? OK sorry...I`ll try to be more serious ALL the time then. Just thought I`d try a little levity because this thread has become quite Harmony Central-esque...but no more. No sir-ee I`m gonna change MY handle to Mr. Serious. So...where were we...oh yes...old wood versus new.....mmmmm.... lost my train of thought.

Didn't realise it was fun, sorry :( You should have used a :p or :lol:

Excuse my grumpy mood :D

I only used the pants part because it`s part of your name...if you`d had any other handle I couldn`t have used the SmartyPants part...wasn`t even sure if it`s used over there...thought it might be a North American thing.
No harm no foul...carry on.

Back