Whats my 2005 LS-150 now in 2010 ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedrocortez

Reaction score
Hi

I have a beautiful '05 LS150 which i picked up second hand in mint condition .

I have PRS McCarty, EB Silhouette special and an Ibanez and this outplays them all.

But i was wondering - what spec is an 05 LS150 today in 2010 ? Is it an LS-160 or higher and whats the equivalent Gibbo - an R8 ?

I played several high spec Gibbo LPs as my mate is a Gibbo "purist" and i think the Tokai beats 'em all so far.

All info welcomed

Cheers
Pete

I think they qualify as one of the not-so-often seen LS-195's. I have an '05 LS-150 too, that I also got second hand in mint condition. Mine has a matte finish which Joe has told me he thinks was a special run made by one particular luthier at Tokai. Very nice axe!

Jason

Good question, I have one of these too. I suppose yours is like mine with 1 piece back and 2 piece solid flame top?

The new LS150, or even newer LS160, comes with a plain maple top but there is a limited edition called LS200 (see Richtone website) very close to the specs of the mid 2000s LS150. Checking on the Tokai Gakki website (the UK site does not seem up to date with the description of the LS150) the closest guitar is LS260:

BODY : : Flamed Maple Two Pieces Top Mahogany One Piece Back
NECK : : Mahogany One Piece Set-Neck Deep Joint Head Angle 18?
FINGERBOARD : : Rosewood
BRIDGE : : HLS-VB(Brass Saddle)Bridge HLS-VT Aluminum TailPiece
PICKUPS : : PAF-Vintage MK2?2(Made In Japan)
POT : : CTS
SWITCH : : Switchcraft
CONDENSER : : Sprague Black Beauty
JACKS : : Switchcraft
FINISH : : Lacquer Finish
COLOR : : CS,VF

Price Price : : 273,000 yen(Include Tax With Hard Shell Case

Confused? Me too but that's half the joy!

Yes,
one piece back and 2-piece solid flame top.

great guitar - has definitely made me want another LS or Reborn etc ....

270,00 yen - wow... thats over ?2K at current exchange rate ! I paid about ?700 quid for mine - I was v lucky.

Cheers
Pete

There are flame top LS150 for sale on Richtone's website - than even more puzzling as they were made in 2009...

Has anyone got more info?

pedrocortez said:
great guitar - has definitely made me want another LS or Reborn etc ....
I know the feeling, I started with one of these and Tokai is now the most important part of my collection...and that's before I get my hands on a good SG75 (SG88 now) and ES135. You just don't get this sort of value with any other brands.

looktoyourorb said:
There are flame top LS150 for sale on Richtone's website - than even more puzzling as they were made in 2009...

Has anyone got more info?

Actually, they're still making LS150 AAA Flametops in 2010...I have a bunch on order.

I think you have an LS200 3A or 5A, is it Violin Finish by any chance?
Today it's called the LS260...I have one with a 5A flametop.
It has the same specs as an LS150/160, one difference, yours has the Sprague Black beauty instead of Orange drop...and of course yours is a Flametop not Plaintop.

Here's a story for you.
I have one in a music store, this store were the PRS distributors for the last 14 years...in fact the owner has a PRS McCarty, he's had it for 12 years.
The guys that work in the store and the owner reckon they've never played a guitar like the LS260...it blows every Gibson and PRS they've ever played.
And, the McCarty has been replaced with a ES185...the McCarty's for sale.

So you're not imagining things, it's that good.

I guess the Gibson equivalent would be an R9 "Historic" with a 3A Flame.

They are that good indeed. I have a PRS SC245 (one piece flame top!) and it is truely a magnificent guitar. Is it ?1500 better than my LS150 or ?2000 better than my LC85?....not a chance.

I bought the SC245 as I see it as the ultimate LP style guitar and it sounds and plays incredibly. Having said that my Tokais are so close it is untrue. I actually often pick the LC85 over the PRS...

V interesting indeed.

actually I'm not sure what colour my LS150 really is - i thought it was HDC but I'm not 100% sure.

As for the McCarty comparisons.....

I'd lusted after a Goldtop McCarty ever since I first saw the promo ad for one with David Grissom "lone Star" picture.

I ended up buying a beautiful used Goldtop McCarty 1993/4 - i researched it and PRS told me it was just pre the factory move - so i treasure it even more
It arrived the day after my son was born 13 years ago - so its never getting sold. :D
I do love it but love the LS150 just as much.

I must try an LC85 if they are that good - Rich is just down the road from me in Sheffield - too close for wallet comfort :lol:

I just need to find a buyer for my Godin LGXT first.....

cheers
Pete

Two pictures for you...

LC85
IMG_0055.jpg

SC245 as you are one of them PRS lovers
03042010171.jpg

looktoyourorb

stop it !
you're going to make me spend money !!!!

that LC85 is looking great

No more PRSs though - Ive had 3 and will definitely be keeping the McCarty

Must get down to Richtone and try the LC85
thanks for the Pics - I'll take one of the LS150 and post it this week.

Cheers
Pete

The PRS was also my dream guitar alongside the Gibson VOS LP Custom, the PRS build and playability are way superior.

They will be very collectible in the near future...so get a used one if you can. If not remember how close to Tokais are...fabulous guitars.

Latest posts

Back