What pots in a ES-135?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty_s13

Reaction score
Hi all,

Really, REALLY loving my new ES-135, especially now I changed strings and oiled the board.

I was expecting that would need to upgrade the pots and pickups when I got it, but they are surprisingly awesome!

Does anyone know what kind of pots they use? I can see they use orange drop caps which are pretty darn decent but are they 500k pots all around?

It feels like they are using a modern wiring instead of the "50's" style? The volume doesn't seem to have that sudden drop like my les paul does which is pretty useful for cleaning up the sound.

I may still upgrade the pickups down the track but I am really satisfied with the electrics. It really is a lot better made than a Gibson.

haha

I got some but they didn't turn out so great. Its so hard to photograph a guitar!

DSCN4486.jpg

DSCN4487.jpg

I couldn't really capture the flame. But there is flame all over the top, sides and back as you would expect. Its nice and subtle which is just what I was hoping for. Not a big fan of over the top flame.

Oh and its not pink looking like the photos suggest either

It is a very nice guitar.

No one can help me out with my original question?

Basically what I am trying to ask is, is it worth upgrading the pots/caps at all? I'll be upgrading the pickups down the track so I'm wondering if its worth doing a full electric upgrade at the same time? Like an RS kit or something?

Without wishing to be rude, do you need to ask? It's your guitar, do the electrics do what you want? I have an ES130, & changing the electrics has never ocurred to me, as everything works fine.

Except, maybe, for that stupid switch... :-?

Mike

Well no, they are fine at the moment. But have people experienced issues or problems down the track?

The electrics on these guitars is fine but like all electronics sometimes something will fail. I have a pile of good quality Japanese guitars and have had a pot fail on one of my Tokai's but in saying that i also have some with original pots from 1981-1982 and they are all still original and noise less. I wouldn't worry about changing anything unless its stuffed.

Mick

Thanks for that. I might just rewire the existing gear when I change pickups to 50's style.

Latest posts

Back