USA or MIJ

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japanstrat

Reaction score
The prices of the Gibson and Fender faded or satin finishes are at or near the Edwards, Epiphone Elitist or Fender Japan prices.
This wasn't so a few years ago but now Gibson and Fender USA are a choice in this price range.
Anybody got any comments to make.
I just bought a faded Gibson for under Orville by Gibson or Edwards prices, would anyone else do the same.

I played three Gibson double cuts last week at Rock Inn `cause they were 51% off list...but the frets were so poorly finished I didn`t buy one. I would certainly buy a Gibson if I could find one I liked...but there are just so many Japanese builders who produce outstanding guitars that it would have t be a very special Gibson...ran my fingers down the necks of two Studio Pluses this week but they had the same fret problem and hanging right next to them were some MIJs that had beautifully finished frets...round and polished, that maker is going to be my next purchase. Gibsons are nice but maybe they just don`t have the time to dedicate to each instrument because they have to fill orders...I don`t know. I mentioned recently in another thread that used prices for Gibsons in this city have halved in the past year or so... exactly why I`m not sure but it`s good news...there are no Elites here anymore nor do Edwards sell very well...even used, I think I`m the only guy buying them in Sendai...theres a black custom thats been hanging in the same place for months now.
That same Rock Inn just got a bunch of new Gibsons in and prices are as low as I`ve ever seen them... maybe it was a good thing that the distribution contract Gibson had with their importer was not renewed.

I've read on other forums about the Gibson frets and other things but mine were perfect.
Looks like Gibson is going direct to the shops in Japan so I can't see them starting any Epiphone Japan models in the near future and maybe ever again, they would be pushing the faded series instead.

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=631358&lastpost=2007-06-2418:10:19

Back