Tokai's equivalent Iced Tea finish.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hekdiesel

Reaction score
what does tokai call their equivalent to an iced tea finish in the catalogs?

It depends what you mean by finish...do you mean the colour or the painting technique?

Here's an Iced Tea.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-traditional-pro-ii-60s-neck-electric-guitar/h89379

The Tokai equivalent colour would be Heritage Dark Cherry (HDC).
But as you can see on the Tokai the burst would be wider, so the paint technique is different but the colour is the same.

lp2_zpsc0722c73.jpg

Tokai uses different laquer formulations as far as they got japanese laquer brands.
I guess ice tea would be Violin finish ( on the faded side).

luis said:
Tokai uses different laquer formulations as far as they got japanese laquer brands.
I guess ice tea would be Violin finish ( on the faded side).

Did you see the Gibson link?...that's not Violin Finish.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-traditional-pro-ii-60s-neck-electric-guitar/h89379

Thats what i wanted to know, "heritage Dark cherry", that finish, to my eyes is beautiful.

Y hdc is a brockburst finish which is hard red finish sunburst but not to the point to a tobacco burst

Kind of brockburst...

Vf is a faded red lost sumburst

Ginson serms not gollowing the dame exacta finish chsrt than they did con fifties....

........................................HDC.↑↑↑....................................................................VF.↑↑↑

Hi guys,

to be fair Gibson seem to have 2 versions of Iced Tea - 1 for the Custom Shop and one for the Production Plant.
Iced tea is supposed to be a faded cherry sunburst to the point where the red part of the pigment has faded (not darkened) to a pale, see-through shade, a sort of tangerine similar to the VF finish Tokai used in the '80s.
The current range of Tokai colours do not have an Iced Tea equivalent, well not one I've seen.
Honeyburst has no red left in it so from edge to edge it's a uniform amber colour.

Peter

Back