Tokai strat values - UK market

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blake375

Reaction score
I know it's always a case of a guitar being worth as much as someone is prepared to pay for it and all that, but what do forum members think is the ball-park going rate for different Tokai strat models in the UK (vintage ones, that is)?

I'm particularly curious about ST50s, 60s and 80s, but maybe if enough people chip in some sort of price guide will emerge. I suspect it will be a complicated one though - Springyness/Goldyness, colour and condition being taken into account...

Any ideas?

Goldstars ?300-?400
Springy ST50's ?400-?500
Springy ST60's ?500-?600
Springy ST80's ?800-?1000

You will always find very nice examples for more, or beaters for less, or somethimes get lucky and grab a bargain.

Very hard to answer that. I've watched prices for a while now, & there isn't the consistency you might expect.

For a ball park Springy ST80 price, check what villager is charging. It's rare to see these for sale in the UK anyway, so a seller could probably charge close to what Mark charges.

As a general rule, you'll pay about ?100 more for the Springy name - so if a Goldstar ST50 goes for ?300, you might have to pay ?400 for a Springy ST50. Even though they are basically the same guitar.

Colour makes a difference with Goldstars. If you take ?300 as a typical ST50 price, some will sell for less, (particularly the more common black & sunburst models) while rare custom colours (ST55s) tend to go for more. A blue Goldie ST55 with matching headstock just sold for ?400. :eek:

Originality seems to be more important than condition - some people think that a new scratchplate and "better" pickups should increase the value, but it rarely does. Even for day to day "players", it's best not to change any more than you really have to.

Hope this helps.

Mike

What about neck types? There seems to be fewer RWB than maple knocking about.

I personally would be prepared to pay a fair bit more for a RWB. I guess it's personal preference though.

blake375 said:
What about neck types? There seems to be fewer RWB than maple knocking about.

I personally would be prepared to pay a fair bit more for a RWB. I guess it's personal preference though.

Maple or rosewood doesn't really make any difference to the price. I think there are a similar number of both types available it just depends when you are looking. I wanted a maple board ST80, and when I was looking I could only find rosewood!

Back