Tokai Factories in Hamamatsu, Japan

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sigmania said:
Thanks!

As far as the bankruptcy and reorganization goes, do you think the company changed afterwards?

8) i think their attitude changed to weak but then they surely slowly came back later. but they didnt become very strong again until the LS320 years probably. lately, they are a small company but doing very well, still keeping their legendary quality and products mostly. tokai!

One thing I notice on the newer high end Love Rocks is that the tops look “perfect”. As in the flame is very regular to the point that it all looks the same to me. Often a straight horizontal flame or in a “V” or chevron pattern.

Like this:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25779

More like corn rows than flame I think.

My preference is for more irregularity in the grain which I feel gives the guitar character and a unique personality. But I may be alone.

The earlier guitars often had that.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22232

8) sorry, its the LS320 years, not the LS230 years. i was sleepy so forgive me please! the LS320 series are sorta the historic collection of tokai and this super vintage model changed the recent tokai reputation so much so high! its got the brazillian fretboard & honduran mahogany body/neck! some of this forum members have it so you can ask them how wonderful theirs are. its the current tokai flagship model that their new legend began with!

Just to say, guitars made around 2000-2010 are excellent batches. And you can enjoy them without having to pay a premium for "VINTAAAAAAGE" !

So, maybe they had some hardship in the past, but they stood up again. The only difference is that the early 80's models completely gained from the cheap labour and prices in Japan back then. Just seeing what they packed in the LS200 back then is crazy. Nowaday, those are special runs (like HLS Max or LS420).

Blow ups of mfg process from pics on last page of 1981 "Flat Top Series" catalog.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26104&p=195607#p195607

Label on wood says "Oriental Stateman".

htE5E8f.png

Shfwrzd.png

jQ2gjWe.png

pGYOvG0.png

jgfXRd8.png

31livaS.png

http://guitar.miyaji.co.jp/?eid=292

Lightweight!

TOKAI SUPER SHOP MODEL

Miyaji musical instrument order completed.

This article was written on Friday, February 01, 2013.

Hello everyone. It's been another month in 2013, and there are only 11 months left, but how are you all doing? As we have already announced to those who have read this blog, I am producing a guitar that is particular about materials as TOKAI SUPER SHOP, but I will inform you this time. Masu is a FENDER system. It's a challenge to a custom shop, not the Gibson style such as the 335 style and Les Paul so far.

The material was actually selected in Hamamatsu in late September 2012, when the heat still remains. It is a problem to always ask the staff of Tokai Musical Instruments who inevitably work in a factory where the heat is harsh. On that summer day, I heard that there was a lightweight one-piece ash and a straight-grained neck, and vowed to produce a guitar that made full use of the goodness of the material. When I recall, it actually took 4 months to complete. With the finished product in front of you, I am impressed.

When making this kind of guitar, the weight could be assumed as a numerical value at the stage of conception, but no matter how much experience it has gained. However, I don't understand anything about the performance feeling until I get the actual instrument. This is a difficult place to order a shop. Create a prototype and repeat trial and error Unlike ready-made products that are commercialized, it is a real game.

By the way, the feeling of crossing expectations and anxieties when unpacking the guitar I was involved in producing became middle-aged. It gives a slight fever and a feeling of excitement to me, but if it goes too far, it will not be excitement. There is a great possibility that you will become a god of guitar, or even a Buddha, due to myocardial infarction. Cool, Objectively confront the finished product.

The moment I picked it up, I opened the box and checked what kind of guitar was made from the outside ... "Light !!!!" The biggest feature of this guitar, "lightness", that you can experience before checking the grip feel and appearance of the neck. Yes, one of the goals was a lightweight guitar. That summer day when I selected the materials. The first stage has passed. Then, when you play it down raw with Jalan, the vibration is transmitted from corner to corner of the lightweight body, and the balance is perfect. A few minutes to enjoy the live sound without going through the amplifier for a while. The solid middle sound that comes from the texture of the straight neck is so great that you can feel the sound even with your left hand. Naturally, the ash body, which has a good sound that is directly transmitted to your belly, makes the overall total balance feel even closer to VINTAGE. And finally plugged into the amp. Since I was convinced that the material was good this time, I did not specify the pickup in particular (I considered replacing the pickup I like later and to keep the selling price down), I left it to Mr. TOKAI, but it is really Matchon. Good TWANG sound. The genuine TOKAI pickup does not have a strange habit, but rather it seems to output the goodness of the material obediently, which can be said to be a miscalculation. It's more than you can imagine, it's more than you can imagine. The materials and parts are specified in the specifications, but is it a business that can make a passion for making guitars with attention to detail? A polite work that does not make you feel any compromise even if you look closely. The awesomeness that every detail of the part exists to create a single sound.

Total balance and neck feeling when playing, familiar with amps The wood that I saw in front of me at the factory, such as the goodness of the ash peculiar to when it was done The board of Npeace Ash and the maple neck material of the grain are the skills and processes of the people of the TOKAI factory with Japanese custom shops. We have opened our eyes as a musical instrument that has been beautifully completed by the staff. You can say it.

When a guitarist picks up a new guitar, a new guitar from there It is a common story that the story begins. But that At the beginning of the story, a lot of passion was added to this guitar. It is out in the world with a story. You also get this guitar and produce the continuation of the story Isn't it.

Please see this page for details.

Tokai HST-MIJ LTD ASH STW / M
Tokai HTE-MIJ LTD ASH STW / M

see you.

by Moda

lrlFoM1.jpg

zPm7YOI.jpg

GbwK1Kw.jpg

SzP87bX.jpg

nLNon5F.jpg

YNGA1Ew.jpg

wJEWL1h.jpg

1982 Spring Catalog

Strict material standards for the perfect guitar

Use of the world's first NC router.

Natural Drying:

Curly maple and other valuable guitar materials collected from all over the world will be the best materials for making guitars alter log sawing. So we will go on a long journey of natural drying. It is an extremely important process to reduce the water content of "free water" in wood to 18% or less. The day when I was exposed to Hamamatsu's famous product (Haizumi) for about 2 to 5 years and became a guitar is earnestly celebrated.

Artificial Drying:

The material that has been awakened from a long, long, naturally dried sleep is to remove the "bound water" attached to the tissues in the taste material that is subjected to artificial drying for about 1 to 2 weeks with intense heat and steam. The staff in charge is always fighting the instrument. Especially Tramoku Is done carefully. This is because the material is not sufficiently naturally dried, the artificial drying will be severely rejected as a musical instrument material. It is also common sense that it is basic and common sense to dry only the same material.

Seasoning:

Well-seasoned materials that have been artificially dried and products that are in the process of being woodworked enter the seasoning room, which is air conditioned without rest. This room, which is always kept at a temperature of 20ª C and a humidity of 35% is called the "Tokai Califomia Room". With a standard equilibrium moisture content of 7 to 8%. It is a perfect material for musical instruments.

Material check and body material composition:

The seasoned material undergoes strict checks such as plate thickness, phase, kanakui, and kusare, and is steadily steadily checked. Only carefully selected materials are recognized as guitar materials and are left as body materials and neck materials. For the first time, a body configuration such as book matched 2 piece maple top and mahogany piece back is performed, and the process finally proceeds to body processing.

Amazing body processing:

"NC router" boasting unrivaled and overwhelming accuracy. With this pneumatic control router, the LS series and LC series will be revived over time. With the introduction of the "3D router" that can process not only the outer circumference and drilling, but also all three dimensional objects, high-performance Vintage models are born one after another. which is exactly the hometown of quality models. Of course, Tokai is the first in the world to make a guitar with this NC router. The body created in this way is now modified by an experienced craftsman to create a more perfect and accurate guitar with a neck joint.

Neck processing & joint:

The neck that is recommended in parallel is the mahogany 1-piece neck that Tokai adopted for the first time in Japan. With a head angle of 18 ° and no heel joint, this neck is extremely difficult to machine, and after the truss rod is set accurately, the grip shape is handed by a delicate craftsman, and the flea and swordsman canna.. Swords, woodworking rods, trusses, and other well-used tools are used to finish the work. And the rose fingerboard is laminated and the body and perfect joint.

Once again, we will enter the painting process, which is the highlight of Tokai's technology."

2QBD0qp.jpg

The project team's top secret color composition that further enhances the perfection as an instrument.

• Special Old Finish: Painting serves as an instrument in addition to protecting the guitar. The real game that expresses beauty. Tokai has finally completed a special old finish that is often found on Vintage models. VF = violin finish. The tasteful deep color that the sunburst part due to aging peculiar to the Vintage model is lemon-dropped is beautifully reproduced by the top secret color composition and finish. E. Van Hee revived the old colors found in the collects of Iren and Norman Harris. It's already a hot topic among rare guitar enthusiasts. I even added a second name called Vintage Finish. In addition to this, the old cherry sunburst (OS), which is familiar to the orthodox Jimmy Page color, and the most popular and popular cherry sunburst (CS) are the three colors of the Vintage model. In addition, the 58 standard model is available in a total of five colors, the original colors Matte Gold Top (G), OS /CS. and Brown Sunburst (BS) Black (BB). In addition, the special model LS 100S has two optional colors. Old Natural (ON) and Old Red (OR). The LC series is available in the familiar wine red (WR) and CS / BB, all boasting great coloring. And the LS200 has a cashew finish, and the LS80 and above has a rattvian finish which is a gorgeous and special old color finish that can never be imitated.

• Bubbling... Completed assembling... Finally, the painted guitar is finished with water polishing, buffing, etc. to make it shiny, and then it goes into the final process of mounting and assembling parts. Of course, strict checks and meticulous attention are taken, and the process progresses and is finally completed. Even if the process is briefly explained, it is as above, and many detailed work and processes are still included in it. Perhaps one guitar will be born from the amount of work that can not be written even if all this back side is applied to it. By all means, I want you to take good care of yourself and greatly improve your music mind through the instrument. and create even more wonderful sounds.

• ES series ... The ES series is born from a completely different production line from
the LS / LC series. Each one is carefully made based on advanced technology,
and the craftsman's long guitar making know-how. Only the same structure as the so-called Hako guitar, the finish of the body construction with the arched top & back and the side is the decisive factor. ES jazz and ES rock models born from handcrafts. Wrap yourself in a special old finish with colorful Tokai Red (TR) natural (N) that makes the
best use of the material, and black sambast (SB) that beautifully reproduces the traditional color tone, and it is a return to the hot music scene.

oPpq2gK.jpg

Thanks to Paladin for posting this link in an older thread!

https://web.archive.org/web/20030720053953/http://www.tokaiguitars.com/

Factory Tour

Nc6xftS.jpg

Our main office and factorv are located in Hamamatsu, Japan. Hamamatsu-city is in the middle of Japan and it is approximately one hour and a half from both Tokyo and Osaka by the super express train, Shinkansen.

R&D Division

We use CAD,CAM , 3D Measuring Apparatus and other computerized equipment.

tePJGYZ.jpg

2fWgA8l.jpg

Our five NC routing machines save time and cost while producing accurate and quality products

iSrvQ5g.jpg

dbzE7Qz.jpg

Our Wood Working Factory and Dust Collectors

otmgvwQ.jpg

qt5vOm3.jpg

Our three automatic buffing machines

Finishing Room

DaSCkpL.jpg

xS26K3y.jpg

Handmade Acoustic Guitar Division

Hi, thanks for linking to my post, your are taking Tokai research to another level - I have some reading to catch up on, thanks for your work!
Thank you for yours too! I hadn't remembered that I had linked your tour. Just grabbed to pics to save on my computer of your visit.

I noticed the stack of HSS strat bodies in one photo.

Also, member tokaiaustralia toured the factory recently since there is new ownership. He was able to get a bunch of guitars that seemed to be one offs or repairs or something and is selling them on his site.

I'll link his post that links his photos from his tour.

Looks like his hyperlink is broken....

Tokai Factory Pics

Looks like his site is down too?

k1yqJBQ.png

This is either "the other" factory or "one of the other" factories. Interestingly, this is also where the Talbos are (or were?) made. Here's a 2007 "Talbo factory tour" on the Ikebe website, unfortunately the site escapes Google's attempts to translate it:

https://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikebe/shibuya-talbo/factory_report.html
The "secret" factory seems to be in Onji-cho, Minami-ku and of course I tried to locate that on Streetview and funny enough, I found a place where someone had left a place mark labeled "Tokai guitar factory", but that looks nothing like the place above on the 2022 imagery:

https://goo.gl/maps/88WLNjh65XJ8wzG78
Another task for a rainy Sunday I guess. Or...hang on...

Last edited:
First off, the building shown in Google Maps above must have been built very recently, Apple Maps has older satellite imagery and does not show it yet. Either the Onji-cho factory is no more or the place mark is off.

But...

Luckily I found the website of a nice person whose name I could not find out, he worked at Tokai between 1979 and 1985:

http://fridays-dream.com/toukaigakki2.html
Here is an image of the "old factory" complex in 36 Terawaki-cho, where some of the Tokais were produced before they moved to their current location in what was a dormitory building for the big factory. Telling from the cars, this was likely made around the time when the coolest vintage Tokais were born:

Tokai_IMG_01911.jpg

Remember, Tokai made a lot of instruments and even entered the piano business in 1978, so this was a rather large facility. But it wasn't the only one, according to "Fridays-dream" there was another one what he calls the "Terashima factory" "south of Hamamatsu station" (but you could also describe the head office factory's location that way, Terajima would be a few km up north, west of the Tenryu river). That's where the higher grade guitars (not sure if that includes electrics, as our unknown friend was involved with the acoustics) were made. Alas there is no outside shot of that place.

He also lived in the Enshuhama dormitory building that is Tokai's assembly factory today.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 03.18.44.jpg

But when he lived there, the place looked quite different:

Tokai_IMG_01921.jpg

Alas that doesn't solve any mysteries or adds any data points to the Tokai knowledge, but it's nice to see how this looked like when the spaghetti logo Springys and LP Reborns were made. :)

Edit: Actually his recollections go over 4 pages, and he seems to say that the reorganization was at the end the fiscal year 1984, so actually in 1985. Also, he has a photo of Tadayuki Adachi, president of Tokai at the time:

Tokai_IMG_01951_1.jpg

Attachments

• Tokai_IMG_01941.jpg
    Tokai_IMG_01941.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Tokai_IMG_01961.jpg
    Tokai_IMG_01961.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Tokai_IMG_01981.jpg
    Tokai_IMG_01981.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
And they made acoustics then. I believe all the acoustic production shifted to China.

Google translation of the cool page you linked.

http://fridays-dream.com/toukaigakki2.html

Tokai Musical Instruments Manufacturing Co., Ltd. 2

I got a job at Tokai Gakki and started living in Hamamatsu, but what kind of place was Hamamatsu and Tokai Gakki?

The first thing that surprised me when I went to Hamamatsu? That is...a lot of bikes! As expected, it is the birthplace of HONDA, YAMAHA, and SUZIKI! One more thing that really surprised me! Isn't your child playing "baseball"? This was a culture shock! I'm from Hyogo Prefecture, the hometown of "Koshien," the mecca of baseball. , it was not. What the children in Hamamatsu were doing was "soccer"! As expected of the soccer kingdom "Shizuoka Prefecture". (This was long before the "J.League" was established.)

Other than that, the sunset is beautiful! This was impressive. Takarazuka City, Hyogo Prefecture, where I was born and raised, has mountains such as "Mt. Therefore, you can see a beautiful sunset only a few times a year. That was every day in Hamamatsu. And that the city is quiet! Conversely, does this mean that Takarazuka is noisy? The sound of trains, the sound of jet planes arriving at and departing from Osaka Airport, and so on.

In particular, the head office of Tokai Musical Instruments was located in the "Terawaki Tekko Danchi" (inside the rice field)...

IMG_01911.jpg
 This is the head office of Tokai Musical Instruments located at 36 Terawaki-cho, Hamamatsu City. Unfortunately it doesn't exist anymore. The long prefabricated building between the larger buildings was where the dining room and "service center" were located. On the right side, there was a raw material storage area and a natural drying area .​
IMG_01941.jpg
 In this factory, guitars, pianicas, pianos, etc. were made. Guitars were mainly mass-produced, and high-end handicrafts were produced at the Terashima Factory. In the image, you can see a row of guitars from "Cat's Eye", but since I joined the company, "Tokai" brand electric guitars have become the main product.​
IMG_01961.jpg
 This is the banjo production line. Even so, banjos were produced in extremely small quantities, so they were produced in a small space with only a few people. The person in the back is Mr. Nozawa, who was introduced in the banjo catalog.​
Raw guitars produced at the headquarters factory in Terawaki were mainly mass-produced products. We produced CE150-CE300 mass-produced products and CE400-CE600 semi-manufactured products. Luxury handicrafts with a CE rating of 800 or higher were made at the "Terashima Factory" on the south side of Hamamatsu Station.

IMG_01981.jpg
 This is the "Terashima Factory". Wasn't there a big power machine here? So it was a very relaxing atmosphere.​

It was a factory like this, but when you think of a factory where guitars are made , it's easy to have an image of specialized, veteran craftsmen who carefully work one by one. But... (like the image above?)

Actually, there are a lot of "babies around there" everywhere, and they're working hard because they're pressed for time. I felt like saying. It was never a special factory. It was just a very ordinary production factory, and what they were making was "musical instruments."

However, there were many musical instrument enthusiasts from all over the country who lived in the dormitory in Enshuhama, so you could say that it was always filled with the sounds of musical instruments

IMG_01921.jpg
  This was the Enshuhama Dormitory.

I lived on the 3rd and 4th floors. It was very close to Enshunada (sea), and I could always hear the sound of waves. (It was very loud and it took me a while to get used to it.) However, swimming is prohibited at Enshu Beach. The waves were too rough... This building is the current "Tokai Musical Instruments Headquarters".​
After working at Tokai Gakki head office for more than half a year (nearly a year?), I was transferred to the Osaka sales office.

At the Osaka office, I was mainly doing warehouse work such as delivery and answering the phone. When I was transferred to the Osaka sales office, Managing Director Oba said, "Hey, you're Yoshida-kun! You're good at answering the phone, so you'll do well." . Then, eventually, I started working in sales...but...

I joined Tokai Gakki because I wanted to make guitars... but it's true that it gradually became less interesting. I thought, "Do you want to change jobs?", but it's true that I want to be involved in musical instruments...

At that time, the company told me an interesting story...・I want.”

In relation to the delivery business, they had been doing minor repairs, but this time they were going to cut costs by doing more serious repairs. By saying so, I decided to study "repair" for a while at the "head office service center". It was there that I met Hideki Torii, who is now famous for repairing guitars.

IMG_02021.jpg
 Is this person my teacher? This is Mr. Hideki Torii. After joining Tokai Gakki, he worked at harmonica and guitar production sites, and since 1972, he has been in charge of repairing guitars in the "repair department". Currently, he is independent and runs a repair studio "Otori Musical Instruments" in his home in Mikyu-cho, Minami-ku, Hamamatsu City. Torii-san is a fun person who is always joking around. His wife is also a very good person, and both of them are typical "Hamamatsu" people. (My image) But... at heart, he is a very serious person! ! really!​
Under Mr. Torii's guidance, I learned a lot about basic guitar repair.
How to create a work environment. It's all about things that I still refer to, such as how to make.
There was a "service center" in the Tokai Gakki head office factory , so there were many materials for repairs and materials for making small items necessary for repairs .
The leftovers that were in the trash can were all better than the high-end guitars being produced today, weren't they?​
IMG_02041_1.jpg
After spending nearly a year at the head office and service center, I returned to the Osaka sales office. However, there was no equipment at the Osaka sales office, and there were other tasks, so I couldn't do the work that I was doing at the service center. That's part of the reason why I feel like I've gradually drifted away from the musical instrument industry. Also, around the same time, at the Tokyo sales office...

I joined Tokai Gakki as a "rush employee" and started a guitar repair job... Now, I'm a very famous repairman who is trusted by famous guitar players.

There was Mr. Masaharu Imai, who was appointed. He was enrolled at Tokai Gakki at the same time, so I may have met him at a general sales meeting, but I don't remember. A few years ago, I visited Mr. Imai's studio in Takadanobaba, Tokyo, and talked ... He was an interesting and eccentric person, wasn't he?

As time went by, the company's economy gradually deteriorated (later filed for a peace settlement in the first half of 1985?). The long-term absence from work due to an accident was the trigger, and in September 1985? I have decided to retire from Tokai Gakki, where I worked for six years.

My life at Tokai Gakki was full of fun things, so there was some loneliness, but when I took a closer look at the musical instrument industry, I saw many contradictions... and the future was uncertain. Therefore, it is also true that I thought, "Is it high time?"

I didn't have any plans to change jobs after I retired, so I thought, "For now, take it easy for a while..." and went to Shinshu Nagano on a motorcycle touring...

return

Last edited:
Things that jump out at me from that article:

- the head office of Tokai Musical Instruments was located in the "Terawaki Tekko Danchi"
- "Terashima Factory" for "high-end handicrafts", CE800 and higher
- "banjo catalog" ? Would that be a Cat's Eyes catalog or a different one?
- "repair department"

Names to follow up on...

- Tokai President Mr. Tadayuki Adachi
- Managing Director Toshio Oba
- Hideki Torii, who is now famous for repairing guitars, "Otori Musical Instruments"
- Mr. Masaharu Imai
- Mr. Imai's studio in Takadanobaba, Tokyo

Last edited:
Back