Tenons Again

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japanstrat

Reaction score
There is someone doing a long tenon short tenon comparison on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j89iGuz0NzQ&search=Les%20Paul

It's pretty basic and he doesn't mention that the long tenon bit that extends past the fingerboard get's mostly routed away by the neck pickup cavity router leaving the small lip in the neck pickup cavity.

The short or medium tenon doesn't get routed at all by the neck pickup cavity router so the difference in tenon mass (or amount of wood) between a short or medium tenon and a long tenon is not that much when you take into account the neck pickup router routing most of the long tenon away.

I guess the problem with short tenon is not the lost mass off wood, but the round bottom surface that doesn't connect with the neck pocket surface. I read in a GP a while ago that it's also called rocker-tenon.

My Greco Zemaitis has a short tenon but it connects gaplesly with the body as you can see:

DSCN4754.jpg

Exactly 60 years ago, a genius called Leo Fender invented a way to avoid these troublesome tenons, and he (incidentally) managed to change the world of guitars, and music, forever.

Thanks Leo. :p 8)

Mike

The long tenon after neck pickup routing looks like the top one in this image.

And the medium tenon like the Greco Zemaitis above is the centre one in this image.

And the Gibson short tenon is the bottom one in the image.

The difference between the top one (long tenon) and the centre one (medium tenon) is not that big a deal IMO.

Yes the Gibson short tenon has rocker join problems unlike the medium or long tenons.

Yes just play a bolt-on neck Strat and avoid tenons.

21122619kv3.png

http://rsdaizo.hp.infoseek.co.jp/Tokai%20Les%20Paul%20page%201.shtml

japanstrat said:
And the medium tenon like the Greco Zemaitis above is the centre one in this image.

So a Tokai LS85S will have the medium tenon?

You can call all these tenon types what you want, really.

The tenon that is like the top one in the image above can have a longer or smaller lip extending into the pickup cavity and I call them "long tenons" for a long lip and "long medium tenons" for a smaller lip.

I call the tenon that is like the centre one in the image above that has no lip extending into the pickup cavity a "medium tenon" and I call the tenon that is like the bottom one in the image above a "short tenon".

Back