SEB bodies ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenyman

Reaction score
hi guys, neewbe here, i have several les paul style guitars (mij) 2 of which are SEB bodies LS148 SEB, the other is a LS125 SEB can you really tell the difference in sound between SEB bodies andthe usual solid bodies. i only play at house levels and cant say i find much difference ?

This is one of those questions you'll never get a definitive answer for. For starters, you should be the one teaching us the difference since you have SEB and non-SEB guitars! :)

But if there is a difference, it may be hard to detect and assess, depending on a million factors like e.g. the style of music - differences in tone development, the "envelope" of the vibration etc. tend to get lost the more distortion is applied etc.. You'd need to have a pretty scientific approach to measure differences and a reference guitar that's virtually identical to the test specimen except for the body construction and even then you may still not get conclusive results because they're still made of only coarsely predictable wood.

At the end - whether or not the wood has that divine spark or not is something that happens individually between the guitar and the player.

This is one of those questions you'll never get a definitive answer for. For starters, you should be the one teaching us the difference since you have SEB and non-SEB guitars! :)

But if there is a difference, it may be hard to detect and assess, depending on a million factors like e.g. the style of music - differences in tone development, the "envelope" of the vibration etc. tend to get lost the more distortion is applied etc.. You'd need to have a pretty scientific approach to measure differences and a reference guitar that's virtually identical to the test specimen except for the body construction and even then you may still not get conclusive results because they're still made of only coarsely predictable wood.

At the end - whether or not the wood has that divine spark or not is something that happens individually between the guitar and the player.
hi, thanks for your input. maybe i need better ears

Tokai SEB aka 'Sound Effect Body' can be typically made from many multiple pieces of glued together lumber/wood and those are typically 'sandwiched' between a lower & upper sections. The multiple pieces of the interior SEB can some times be seen on the body sides, of course depending on the finish. Don't know if Tokai offers this construction technique any longer; I recall seeing it quite a few years ago at least as far back as 2010.

Have no idea what these may sound like but it comes across to me as a way for Tokai to use smaller pieces of lumber to construct bodies and offer these models at a lower price point. Also, I don't recall seeing this construction method/technique on the higher end stuff.
That's all I got .......

Check the lower right corner of the below graphic; there are about 1 million pieces of lumber sandwiched between the upper & lower body pieces .......
# 1 Tokai SEB.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back