RLC-60 project

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3pupLPC

Reaction score
"Working" from home today... so have a little free time one my hands. Just hit BIN on this one.
4091518217_983ca879ab1.jpg

4092281856_5e76959b011.jpg

I've been wanting to pick up another RLC, and I've also been wanting a Bigsby equipped LP... so being that this one is already gutted, and I picked it up pretty cheap, this is a good chance to sort of customize one without feeling guilty about it. I've got a spare set of L8000's in my drawer that I will start with, but I think I will flip the magnets around on one, for the Peter Greene mod, but maybe will drop in some Phat Cats down the road. I'm also thinking Grovers and the aforementioned Bigsby... Any suggestions?

3pupLPC said:
"Working" from home today... so have a little free time one my hands. Just hit BIN on this one.
4091518217_983ca879ab1.jpg

4092281856_5e76959b011.jpg

I've been wanting to pick up another RLC, and I've also been wanting a Bigsby equipped LP... so being that this one is already gutted, and I picked it up pretty cheap, this is a good chance to sort of customize one without feeling guilty about it. I've got a spare set of L8000's in my drawer that I will start with, but I think I will flip the magnets around on one, for the Peter Greene mod, but maybe will drop in some Phat Cats down the road. I'm also thinking Grovers and the aforementioned Bigsby... Any suggestions?
Very nice! Cool project.
Personally I would use P90!!! The sound with the mahogany body is perfect. If you want a Peter Greene sound check out:http://www.barfuss-pickups.de/page4.php
He has a some nice handmade Peter Greene sound alike 'buckers. There is also a youtube link on the site. Very nice!!!
One question: what do you think of how many pieces the body of your RLC is made? It's hard to get informations on customs from burny.
Looks like you get a closer look! :D

Bumblebee said:
Very nice! Cool project.
Personally I would use P90!!! The sound with the mahogany body is perfect. If you want a Peter Greene sound check out:http://www.barfuss-pickups.de/page4.php
He has a some nice handmade Peter Greene sound alike 'buckers. There is also a youtube link on the site. Very nice!!!
One question: what do you think of how many pieces the body of your RLC is made? It's hard to get informations on customs from burny.
Looks like you get a closer look! :D
I will check out those Barfuss pups, thanks.
Yeah, one day, maybe I'll drop in some P-90s, but I'm trying to keep the $ expediture down :wink: so the L8000's go in first. After used Grovers, a new ABR and B-7, misc (caps, jack, switch), and reusing the pots from my RLC-65, I hope to be functional for a hair over $500... not counting the shipping.
I will try and see how many pieces it is when I get it. I cant tell on my RLC-65. A friend's later lightning bolt cherryburst 60 is 4 pieces... very well matched though; only obvious on the butt side. I assume most of the earlier '80's to be 3 pc.

OK, so here we go... I finally got most everything I need to get started (including a couple of donations from some forum members :wink: thanks guys!).

IMG_0064.jpg

It is pretty dinged up and is in much worse shape than the Japanese seller claimed (who has proven to be a complete idiot)... it obviously served someone very well for a long time... long over due for a fret dressing.

IMG_0053.jpg

I wish I had a digital scale because it is incredibly light... granted it is stripped but still, I think I may have lucked into a great piece of wood. I can't find a seam anywhere... pup cavities, control cavity... not saying its a 1pc but there is nothing obvious.

The bigsby is going to be a nice touch.

IMG_0013.jpg

BTW, does anyone know how to ground a bigsby?

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

Step 1 complete! that took all of 7 minutes... now the rest will take all winter :p oh well... :roll:

That looks great! I wish I had a project like that, going to keep my eyes open for one.

What kind of pots will you be using, CTS? I am a bit curious about the RS superpots :)

This one is not going to get a lot of playing time, so I will probably just use the Alpha's that I pulled out of my RLC65 for now... I will drop in some decent Mallory caps tho'. I may have to install a new nut too I noticed... This has a pretty decent chip out of it at the B string groove... We'll see how it holds.

Hey, You got the tuners on! My RLC-60 is fairly light for a Custom, about 8.5lb loaded, 2-piece body. Great guitar!
P2020176.jpg

NWOBHM said:
Hey, You got the tuners on! My RLC-60 is fairly light for a Custom, about 8.5lb loaded, 2-piece body. Great guitar!
P2020176.jpg

Yep! Thanks for donation :p I'm hoping it stays under 10 lbs when I'm done even including the bigsby. I hope to install that tonight... slow going as expected... work, holidays, kids homework, etc...

Making some progress... I would have had it completed electronically and strung tonight, but the stinkin' 3-way switch I bought has too short threads :evil: Now I have to wait wait for another delivery.

I flipped the magnet in the bridge pickup, and I'm looking forward to trying out the Peter Green mod.

IMG_0186.jpg

The ground is actually on the old tailpiece stud, not the bridge post. I have grounded the Bigsby directly there.

Thanks Udo. Yeah, I wasn't quite brave enough to hack up my RLC-65, but since this one was already ripped...... 8)

Latest posts

Back