Replacing saddles on Goldstar 'Final Prospec' trem

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blake375

Reaction score
Hi All

I've done a search on this to avoid repetition, but couldn't find an answer. I think the trems on Goldstars are fantastic - mine works better than any other trem I've used and holds tuning too, so I have no desire to replace it, but...

The saddles are riddled with grooves (mistreatment by previous owner, not be me!) and I'm starting to have trouble setting the action high enough and also starting to get a bit of a banjo effect on the G string.

Has anyone successfully replaced thier saddles with a vintage-style set that fit perfectly (or near enough)? I wouldn't mind giving Callaham a try as they are supposed to be very hard-wearing, but would consider any brand for a good fit - I just don't want to replace the whole trem.

Any help appreciated.

B

It's difficult to describe but I can kind of hear that the deadness is at the bridge.

Besides, if the problem were at the nut, surely the sustain loss wouldn't be evident when playing a fretted note rather than an open string?

blake375 said:
It's difficult to describe but I can kind of hear that the deadness is at the bridge.

Besides, if the problem were at the nut, surely the sustain loss wouldn't be evident when playing a fretted note rather than an open string?

You didn't mention any of that detail in your first post.

Sorry marcus - didn't mean to sound ungrateful about your advice; thanks for replying to my post.

I didn't put too much detail about tone problems etc. in my original post because I wanted to replies about replacement saddles, rather than diagnostics - I'm pretty sure the saddles are the weak link this guitar's tone. One of them even collapses occasionally because the thread for the height adjusting screw is stripped.

Back