NGD: Bacchus Duke Standard HB

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ArKay said:
In the other thread someone wrote that on his Duke the join is supposedly done on the diagonal, not vertical.

The grain is pretty weird here, but it doesn't look like a join on close inspection. If it's more than 1 piece it's really, really well done and even more difficult to see.

It was just odd that the Duke Standard is the only model which isn't listed with a 1-piece body.

That was me - straight from the dealer's mouth to the forum! I was told that the join is not in the centre and goes diagonally through the cross section of the body rather than straight down.

I'm going to have to get mine under some bright lights and have a look under the neck pickup to see if I can see anything.

Your Duke looks fab - great guitars whether one or two piece. :)

That was me - straight from the dealer's mouth to the forum! I was told that the join is not in the centre and goes diagonally through the cross section of the body rather than straight down.

Thats one of the silliest things i have heard in a while, that type of join would be visible from the moon. I think something got lost in translation.... :eek:

Mick

I have a question and sorry I don't know nothing about Bacchus yet basically.....
there seems many Bacchus models available now and then
but the vintage replica series that you people here are often talking about is WHAT exactly?
I guessed they are their vintage replica series from before 2005?
today's newer Bacchus replica series have the styles which are somehow different
from the original Fender/Gibson designs.
Were there only the Fender/Gibson exact replica guitars by Bacchus then?

leadguitar_323 said:
Thats one of the silliest things i have heard in a while, that type of join would be visible from the moon...

Mick

Not sure what you mean?

On a Les Paul, the join would look exactly like any 2 piece join, just off centre, not any more visible at all.

SUSHI GUY said:
I have a question and sorry I don't know nothing about Bacchus yet basically.....
there seems many Bacchus models available now and then
but the vintage replica series that you people here are often talking about is WHAT exactly?
I guessed they are their vintage replica series from before 2005?
today's newer Bacchus replica series have the styles which are somehow different
from the original Fender/Gibson designs.
Were there only the Fender/Gibson exact replica guitars by Bacchus then?

Bacchus Vintage series - 1994 to 2005.
Handmade series started in 2001, so they were running together for a while.
There's also the Craft series that started in 2008, almost the same quality as Handmade but poly finishes and a few other differences.

Being the snob that I am (or in denial) I'm not interested in the lower Bacchus ranges from Indonesia and China such as the Global series.

Not sure what you mean?

On a Les Paul, the join would look exactly like any 2 piece join, just off centre, not any more visible at all.

Well vertical is straight up and down like most joins regardless of them being 2,3or even 5 piece, diagonal is NOT how joins are done as it means it would be across the grain and would stand out like dogs balls on a canary.... :p
i suspect you mean something else.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Not sure what you mean?

Well vertical is straight up and down like most joins regardless of them being 2,3or even 5 piece, diagonal is NOT how joins are done as it means it would be across the grain and would stand out like dogs balls on a canary.... :p
i suspect you mean something else.

Mick

Ok you're not understanding me.
Because the LP has a top you can't see the seam on the top, so it's hard to appreciate how this works as on the back there is still one straight seam running end to end and the grain can still be matched.

If you have two halves of an LP body the surfaces that are glued together are usually at right angles but in this case the angle may be something less on one half and something greater on the other half (both will still add up to 180 degrees). The seam on the top (that can't be seen on the finished product) will not be in line with the visible seam on the back because instead of the two halves having a vertical pair of faces to glue together they are angled. It's like joining two right angled triangles together. There is no change to the grain matching, and it's actually a harder join to do than the usual vertical join. Whether it's a better joint tonally will probably never be known, but there is more glue in there due to the larger faces that are mated together.

Get it? :)

@Bacchus Vintage series - 1994 to 2005.
@Handmade series started in 2001, so they were running together for a while.

So they were the only exact Fender/Gibson replicas and all the rests
are/were their modified replicas and the originals. correct?

SUSHI GUY said:
@Bacchus Vintage series - 1994 to 2005.
@Handmade series started in 2001, so they were running together for a while.

So they were the only exact Fender/Gibson replicas and all the rests
are/were their modified replicas and the originals. correct?

Sorry, I didn't put that very clearly - only the Vintage series are clones of Gibby and Fender and they are also hand made.

The Handmade series are guitars such as the Dukes (LP with different headstock, fret markers and a few other details), G-Player/G-Studio which are based on a Strat but have pointy horns on the body, different headstock and a few others. There are also the ST-54/57/62 types which are part of the Handmade series and heve the correct shaped Fender Strat body but the different shaped headstock.

Obviously there's Tele and Jaguar/Jazzmaster types as well but I've just mentioned the Strats mainly.

Bacchus definitely still make correct headstock guitars, i was only asking my guy in Japan a couple of days ago and he said they still do and would make basically anything i want, they also make correct headstock models and sell them under a different name. Are you familiar with "sonix".?

Mick

The Universe series (MIC) BLS models have the Gibson headstock AFAIK. Would love to try one, but I don't feel like importing. :)

Yeah, Bacchus also builds to your specs.

leadguitar_323 said:
Bacchus definitely still make correct headstock guitars, i was only asking my guy in Japan a couple of days ago and he said they still do and would make basically anything i want, they also make correct headstock models and sell them under a different name. Are you familiar with "sonix".?

Mick

Yeah sorry, the rest of my post included the statement that I know nothing about all the other cheap ranges, I'm only interested in MIJ. And yes, they will make whatever you want as a private order (my dealer said they can get pretty much anything to any spec), but as far as volume sales of the Vintage series type guitars - not going to happen. Or it does happen, but not for export. I have no connections to get stuff on the down low, I have only dealt with the Aus Bacchus distributor and they have the current Handmade and Craft Series as new guitars, but anything like a clone of this quality level has to be a custom order.

Sonix would be of interest to me, but you don't see many around?

I know nothing about all the other cheap ranges

I wasn't actually referring to the cheaper ones, Sonix are high end as well.

http://www.sonicsystem.co.jp/webguitar/SONIXORG.html

http://www.sonicsystem.co.jp/webguitar/SONIXiriHIGHSP.html

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
I know nothing about all the other cheap ranges

I wasn't actually referring to the cheaper ones, Sonix are high end as well.

http://www.sonicsystem.co.jp/webguitar/SONIXORG.html

http://www.sonicsystem.co.jp/webguitar/SONIXiriHIGHSP.html

Mick

Yeah I know Sonix are good stuff, do they come out of the Aska factory?
However, they don't say Bacchus on the headstock so, they would be another option to get Bacchus quality (or possibly better) in a vintage style new guitar? I'm only saying this because the questions were about Bacchus.

But I didn't know that Sonix were a Deviser/Bacchus OEM.

So are the Sonix High End models a step up from Bacchus?

Well the high end ones have Honduras mahogany so yes they are a step up but only in the body wood, the craftsmanship is the same high quality.
They are made in the same factory the other Bacchus LP's are made.

Mick

Back