NGD - Bacchus BFV-58VM NA

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar hiro

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
Over many years I have owned several of the Deviser produced 'pointy' guitars with the Bacchus brand attached to the headstock face.

Yesterday I received another mid/late 1990s Bacchus BFV-58VM NA but this one is a pre serialized version aka it has no serial number. Got around to un-boxing the 'new' to me BFV this morning.

I have a Bacchus Korina BFV from the same era with two particular attributes which are identical; no serial number and bridge post anchors that are pressed into the top. According to Aki Shiokawa from Deviser Co. Japan these attributes are attributes of the earliest run of Flying V (BFV) production produced by Deviser with the Bacchus logo. According to Aki these BFV examples date to circa 1997.

This example has a white pick guard and white jack surround which I don't know if this is original or after market.
The 1998 catalog shows the BFV-58M with black plastics and this is typical from examples I have previously owned and others examples I have seen. I have seen one other circa 1997 non-serialized version with black plastics.
This BFV-58M is super light weight at 5 lb. - 12.8 oz. which is nearly 1/2 lb. lighter than my Korina BFV; go figure.

One nice surprise: This BFV-58M NA that I un-boxed this morning has a really FAT neck!!

Don't have any photos yet so, for now I'll just post a pic of my Korina version example that I have owned for a very long time ............ pics coming soon ...........

Bachus BFV-58K.jpg

BACCHUS TRIO.jpg

Last edited:
had a bit of time for a quick evaluation of the electronics and everything functions properly, removed the strings, tightened several loose tuner screws and lemon oiled the board.
Will allow a day for the board to dry then she will be ready for a new string set, tuning stability evaluation and set-up.

The neck isn't as thick as I thought but the perceived heft is due to lots of shoulder on either side of the neck centerline. Very different neck on this Mahogany version compared to the Korina example I have and they are from the same era; likely same year. Fingerboard on this one has some really nice alternating black and red color variation.

board is still wet in places from lemon oil ..........
BFV-58VM NA strings.jpg

Back