• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Momose Custom Craft Strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

Reaction score
A recent impulse purchase from fellow forum member DaveWW, absolutely beautiful, but not 'me'

This guitar was built by Yasuo Momose some time between 1996 to 1999

Plays and sounds every bit as good as she looks!

BODY: ASH (1-piece)
NECK: MAPLE
FINGERBOARD: ROSEWOOD
MACHINE HEAD: SPERZEL TRIM LOCK
Nut: LSR ROLLER NUT
FRET: Jim Dunlop 6105
BRIDGE: GOTOH VS100G
Neck Pickup: DIMARZIO HS-3
Center Pickup: LINDY FRALIN TALL-G
Bridge Pickup: TOM HOLMES USA H453LTD
FINISH: Nitro

Looking for 1100 pounds posted in the UK insured with hard case. Or swap/PX for something more 'vintage'

Bodymain.jpg

kanjibody.jpg

kaniback.jpg

kaniplate-1.jpg

kanjihead.jpg

kanjiunder.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

kanjisperzel.jpg

More pics here:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11199&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=momose&start=15

and here:

http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm467/davidkw2001/Deviser/

thejonester said:
Awesome guitar! :D

What does it actually sound like? les pauly, Superstratty or strat? or all three?!!

Quite Stratty (is that a word?) actually, but without the noise, I've never had such a quiet guitar, would be perfect for recording! The Tom Holmes in the bridge does a very good EVH impression too!

It's not me either, but it's a very good guitar, I played it at the Leeds do. The neck is on the fat side, & I would say the sound is too, warm & full. Not a guitar for someone who likes bright trebbly Strats, but I'm sure it will make someone very happy.

Mike

Must say I'm surpised that there's not more interest in this amazing guitar from the forum. We all know it's not Mike's cup of tea but it was one of the most liked guitars at the Tokai convention.

The post on Yuta pickups set me thinking that I think the Tom Holmes pickup is signed by the man himself. I think you should email him to check. There's a couple of USA Tom Holmes on ebay at the mibnute and they don't sem to be signed.

The humbucker in the bridge position Strat era aka EVH era has come & gone, and is long gone dead :lol:

I'm sure it's a great top shelf guitar but it is also obviously a niche instrument, that will appeal to only a very small segment of potential buyers

it will likely be sitting for some time before a potential buyer is inclined to scoop it up

a price drop could possibly improve those odds but even if it is a great axe, it is still what it is; odd ......................

IMVHO it's not a niche instrument - it's an incredibly versatile instrument and that is the fact based opinion of those who have actually played it.

Dave

DaveWW said:
IMVHO it's not a niche instrument - it's an incredibly versatile instrument and that is the fact based opinion of those who have actually played it.

Dave

and the versatility of the instrument is exactly what puts it into a niche category

how many well know, or even not so well known players are out there playing such a versatile guitar?
Very few ...............

Most of the more popular guitarists either have been, or will be playing a straight forward, stripped down version of a one trick pony; a Strat with three singles, or a Les Paul with two 'buckers

I don't see Jimi or the Reverend Willie G playing an 'everything to all' player's guitar.

There are still plenty of adventurous guitarists. Look at some of the guitars played by Billy Gibbons or Mathew Bellamy of Muse for example. Not everyone wants the same thing. Some people actually like a range of different guitars and don't see the sense in collecting several of the same model :wink:

Fender recently had some Strat models with a bridge humbucker, so there is definitely some demand for it.

Sure, the bridge and nut look different, but I would bet the bridge is WAY better than the regular ones on the BSTs or MCs. The Gotoh 510 steel block trem is heaps better than the regular Gotoh 101/108 (this I know from personal experience having recently returned my MC-2 to stock), just like the original Fender designed bridge, they do the job but they're not all that great.

I have seen Willie G perform live likely more times than I have seen Eric Johnson, or Al DiMeloa perform live.

I like them all equally even tho' they all represent something completely different musically.

Sure, Billy plays a range of guitars live that represent different visual concepts but if we look at what is loaded into these 'different looking' guitars it's not an array & a mix of electronics & pickups.

All of his weird looking guitars are loaded with the typical pickup & electronic offerings; nothing new there .............

Mind if I join in :wink:

Regarding a 'price-drop' no chance, if it doesn't sell for what I'm asking I'm keeing it, it's a top quality guitar and worth every penny of the asking price. As for the days of the superstrat been dead, Shur, Viger, Anderson and plenty others are all making guitars a heap more expensive than this one with a SSH pickup config and they seem to be still in business :D

As for what Billy Gibbons plays, that's about as off-topic as you can get!

MIJvintage said:
it will likely be sitting for some time before a potential buyer is inclined to scoop it up

a price drop could possibly improve those odds but even if it is a great axe, it is still what it is; odd ......................

I seem to recall that, when Ned was threatening to close the forum a while back, one of the reasons he did so is because of people commenting adversely on gear advertised for sale. We were told that this had to stop.

MIJ - you have always been very vocal in your condemnation of Tokai Joe for breaking Ned's rules & putting the forum at risk. Do you think it might be an idea if you refrained from commenting adversely on gear other people are offering for sale? I do.

This isn't the first time that you have been critical of a selling price asked by this particular seller, yet I can't recall him criticising the prices you ask for stuff you sell. So maybe you should stop?

The stench of hypocrisy is putting me off my dinner. .....

stratman323 said:
MIJvintage said:

I seem to recall that, when Ned was threatening to close the forum a while back, one of the reasons he did so is because of people commenting adversely on gear advertised for sale. We were told that this had to stop.

MIJ - you have always been very vocal in your condemnation of Tokai Joe for breaking Ned's rules & putting the forum at risk. Do you think it might be an idea if you refrained from commenting adversely on gear other people are offering for sale? I do.

This isn't the first time that you have been critical of a selling price asked by this particular seller, yet I can't recall him criticising the prices you ask for stuff you sell. So maybe you should stop?

The stench of hypocrisy is putting me off my dinner. .....

Mike, I offered a compliment to the guitar & an idea, the possibility of a price reduction to help improve the opportunity of the item to sell quicker.

I also offered my opinion as to the niche factor of the item.

"I'm sure it's a great top shelf guitar but it is also obviously a niche instrument, that will appeal to only a very small segment of potential buyers."

I see a lot of TF members commenting on guitar prices & the general attributes of any given item.

With the exception of my very first few posts here, I have never posted items for sale here.
When & if I do, I will offer you first dibs on slagging any & all items I may be selling here; please Mike, come slag my crap for sale. You have my unconditional & expressed invitation ...............

If you don't like my 'opinions' then you can take that up with Ned.

Otherwise you can go **** yourself ............... now go cry to Ned ...........