LS150 neck size /profile

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tompski

Reaction score
Ok here's one that's bound to get everyone at my throat!
I waited a long time for my LS150 and although I love it to bits I find the neck just a bit too fat for comfort, now having spent almost a grand on what is an absolutely beautiful and very special guitar you might all say "leave it well alone!!!" but surely practicality has to come into it somewhere? it may be the case that the truss rods on these are too close to the back of the neck to do anything about it but does anyone know anythig about reducing the neck profile a bit? has anyone had a luthier start shaving an LS150 neck so it's a little slimmer? Am I mad to even think these thoughts? will I be ostracised forever more from this forum?!
Help!

Tom

Tompski said:
Ok here's one that's bound to get everyone at my throat!
I waited a long time for my LS150 and although I love it to bits I find the neck just a bit too fat for comfort, now having spent almost a grand on what is an absolutely beautiful and very special guitar you might all say "leave it well alone!!!" but surely practicality has to come into it somewhere? it may be the case that the truss rods on these are too close to the back of the neck to do anything about it but does anyone know anythig about reducing the neck profile a bit? has anyone had a luthier start shaving an LS150 neck so it's a little slimmer? Am I mad to even think these thoughts? will I be ostracised forever more from this forum?!
Help!

Tom

The neck profile while a tad chunky, is no where near a larger 58 / 59 profile. It's somewhere between that and a 60's profile. It's obviously larger than you are used to but I'd suggest playing it for a while... your hands will get used to it. I don't have real large hands and I find the profile fine once I get used to it.... particularly after playing a strat most of the time.

Shave the neck? Proceed with with caution..... once the wood's off, you can't put it on again.

Seek profesional advice! It certainly can be done, and usually it is a case of taking a bit off the shoulders, not actually making the neck any thinner in depth from front to back.

Luthiers don't like doing it because the customer usually can't accurately tell them what they want, and as Marcus says, once the wood is removed you can't put it back.

i had the same problem ...i bought a beautiful love Rock LC85 on ebay

however when it arrived the neck was like a log .....

it's my own fault really i should have asked more questions...

i just put it down to experience....sold it and bought an SG with a slim neck

one trick that always works is to play a bass for 10 minutes before your guitar .....every guitar feels like butter after that :D

Latest posts

Back