Love Rock recommendations

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMS

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to add a love rock to my collection but confused with so many variants.so what are the best and most desirable models I should be looking to
Thanks

I think you have to first start with the specs you want. Model names vary over time.

Well, you're in the right place. Keep reading posts in this forum to get a bit of an education, then you may be able to ask more specific questions. I bought my first real good one last Fall, and have gained a lot of knowledge on the breed since then. I have been fortunate to find two nice ones, just by being ready when they showed up on my radar. Keep reading, and I'm sure #Sigmania and others will help you out when you're ready.

I think you have to first start with the specs you want. Model names vary over time.
Don't really have any tbh just want the best I can get for my budget,for example is a 1980 LS50 superior to say a modern day LS136 in saying that I do like the AAAA OR AAAAA maple cap not sure which one is on my prs copy's but they stunning

Yeah, you got lucky with that PRS clone. Most you will see in that price range are going to be veneer over a maple cap.

To get a solid flametop Tokai LP these days you would be lucky to find one for less than $3,000 I would say. More likely a lot more.

Here is a thread you may want to check out.

1978-1985 vintage LS solid flametop gallery

Two of the guitars in there are ones I own or owned. The LS80 flametop (on the right below) was unusual.

There are a few LS80 examples out there that are solid flametops from 1983 or so, but the bodies are 2 piece. And LS80 solid flametops are very rare. Most of the ones you will find are laminate tops.

IMG_3356_zpsc2d6677e.JPG

Back