I'm turning Japanese I think ... I really think so.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrxplayer

Reaction score
[Tokai, Greco, Burny, Ampeg content below. Hope that's OK in the Tokai folder.]

I've realized a few hard facts recently:
1. I can't afford a collection of boutique and/or custom shop American guitars.
2. I really do enjoy owning/playing a variety of instruments, even if only in my "playroom" an hour a day.

I also learned over the last two years that there are some wonderfully made and sounding guitars from Japan that rival those made by the Fenders and Gibson of the world and, for the most part, they're a boatload less expensive.

So... I set out to reduce my investment in expensive US guitars while still keeping my fingers happy in the multi-guitar game.

Initially I thought I could do so and have a Tokai LS150 represent the Gibson/Les Paul corner but $1200 was too much for me to have invested in one guitar so I just sold it.

I then sought to replace it with a great guitar costing half as much. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on one's view) I replaced it with two guitars (as a result I will sell off my last "boutique American" and a DR Z amp).

The net result? I've got a stable of four great MIJ guitars (the "Gibsons" still on the way) and have invested in them less than I sold my CS Telecaster for two months ago (although to be fair that guitar is my all time favorite).

The stable includes: a Greco SE600 (purchased here) which holds its own against most vintage style strats and an Ampeg AMG1 (a real sleeper especially w/ an upgraded bridge) that occupies the "junior" space quite nicely.

On the way are a Greco SS63-60 SG and a Burny FB-90 Firebird. Pictures of my Japanese stringed harem are below.
se6005-1.jpg

se6003-1.jpg

amg1d.jpg

amg1c.jpg

bfb3.jpg

bfb1.jpg

gsg6.jpg
/bfb1.jpg[/IMG]
gsg1.jpg

JVsearch said:
jacco said:
wrxplayer said:
as a result I will sell off my last "boutique American" and a DR Z amp

Nooooooooo, not the DrZ! :(

Yeah, are you sure? :(
Which Dr Z is it?

No matter what guitars you have, you'll still need a decent amp for them.

The Dr Z is a Maz 38 Sr NR head with a bullet proof custom made road case by Left Coast Cases. It's a great head and has some of the best clean tones I've ever heard. Also super pedal platform. Feel free to email me if you want it (jimicoltrane at gmail dot com). Pictures here: http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee199/evanlerner/DR%20Z%20Maz%2038%20NR%20%20Left%20Coast%20Road%20Case/

My other amp is a Red Plate Tweedyverb head w/ a 1x12 cabinet (Naylor SD50 speaker). It's intrinsic tone is pretty much what I'm after, and it's a better amp for quiet play time.

wrxplayer said:
JVsearch said:
jacco said:
wrxplayer said:
as a result I will sell off my last "boutique American" and a DR Z amp

Nooooooooo, not the DrZ! :(

Yeah, are you sure? :(
Which Dr Z is it?

No matter what guitars you have, you'll still need a decent amp for them.

The Dr Z is a Maz 38 Sr NR head with a bullet proof custom made road case by Left Coast Cases. It's a great head and has some of the best clean tones I've ever heard. Also super pedal platform. Feel free to email me if you want it (jimicoltrane at gmail dot com). Pictures here: http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee199/evanlerner/DR%20Z%20Maz%2038%20NR%20%20Left%20Coast%20Road%20Case/

My other amp is a Red Plate Tweedyverb head w/ a 1x12 cabinet (Naylor SD50 speaker). It's intrinsic tone is pretty much what I'm after, and it's a better amp for quiet play time.

Hey, never heard of Red Plate before.. those seem nice. I guess you live in the US, maybe it's a good idea to add your location to your profile if you want sell.

I use a DrZ Maz18 Jr NR but unlike you for dirty tones. The great thing about DrZ amps is that you can put in all kinds of rectifier tubes as the transformer handle that. Mine has a 1958 RCA 5R4GYB which has great sag and complements the 1955 longplate Siemens ECC83 & 1954 Valvo EL84s really well.

jacco said:
Hey, never heard of Red Plate before.. those seem nice. I guess you live in the US, maybe it's a good idea to add your location to your profile if you want sell.

Thanks. I updated my profile.

Here's a clip of my amp (played by its previous owner; hard as I try I can't quite get it to sound this good :lol: ). I had it pulled and put into a head cabinet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhpM0xRhHo0

Hello WRX Player.....
I just signed up for the TokaiForums and saw your profile name.
It is Josh AKA (Mowgli5555) from MLP... Haha.
It appears that you are turning Japanese now.... I dont think you can change back. So welcome and cheers. Josh

Back