How damaged do you think this headstock is?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's a reverb auction for an egf 1800 and you can tell from the bent tuning peg and the cracks on the base of the headstock that it took a fall backwards at some time. From the pics, how bad do you guess the damage was? Think it's finish cracks of structural? I suspect that if you give it a hard look the headstock will pop off.
https://reverb.com/item/70742776-1980-greco-egf-1800-super-real-w-dry-z-pickups-hsc

If you’re interested in it you should ask Cliff. He’s a well known long time member here. I’m sure he would be happy to answer your questions if you message him through Reverb.

I've noticed that EGF-1800 being listed for a while and remaining unsold even with the almost 50% price drop. I would ask why it's discounted so much considering he has another EGF-1800 listed for so much more.

What's also curious is that the listing for the other EGF-1800 has Brazilian fretboard as one of the features whereas the one in question does not.

Last edited:
I've noticed that EGF-1800 being listed for a while and remaining unsold even with the almost 50% price drop. I would ask why it's discounted so much considering he has another EGF-1800 listed for so much more.
The price drop is really more of a sales tool than anything. That guitar isn't worth 8k in the condition its in. The headstock damage and the fact that it needs a refret lowers the price significantly. if you look carefully at the pics of the fretboard you can see that they've worn grooves in the rosewood from playing it so much, which is a good sign that it's got tone. If he dropped the price to 3500, I'd buy it. Then it would be worth it to send it off to a luthier for repairs.

Last edited:
If you’re interested in it you should ask Cliff. He’s a well known long time member here. I’m sure he would be happy to answer your questions if you message him through Reverb.
I don't have a reverb account. Once I put in 4 simultaneous orders for klons because they were all priced 2500 and below but they cancelled all 4 of my purchases for being "suspicious", so I was rude to one of the employees and they banned my account.

You can see where he is located from his Reverb ad. Go on Facebook Market place, and enter his locale, then search "Tokai". If he's on marketplace, you can contact him, through F.B., and exchange direct emails, or phone #s.
You can do the same thing looking on Craislist for his area.
He may have an ad on ebay. Often sellers use the exact same item description, for their other ads for the same guitar, wherever they put it up. If it's on ebay, searching for "Tokai EGF-1800" will surely bring up the ad there. On ebay, they scan emails for folks exchanging contact data, to circumvent eluding ebay's surcharge, but you can let him know your interest, and have him contact you through our forum.
It sounds though, like some of our friends here on the forum, know him, and perhaps one of them, Oh I guess that could be me, could send him a note on Reverb, letting know to look you up here. If no one jumps in, I'll see if I have time tomorrow.
I also wouldn't be surprised if he sees this, thread on here, with his own peepers, and contacts you.
Good Luck,
I was reading one of our thread/s about these, or possibly this exact one recently. They sound like fantastic guitars !

Boy you L.P. fanciers sure like your weighty guitars, it was making my back hurt even more, looking at Cliff's shots of these, sitting on the scales, but I, "am not", going to up the flouroscope images I have of my spine, with needles in place, injecting cortisone into my vertibrae. I'm in enough trouble here already !
To *my* eye, this neck has some scratches on the back of it, from leaning it up against something. Separately, it looks like on the treble side of the neck, just below the headstock, is what appears to be a crack in the finish, as Cliff says. This neck appears to be in a lot nicer shape than that of the one he's just upped a week ago. It doesn't look *at all* like it is about to snap off. The ugliest thing I see is the

gash on the lower bout. That bent tuner can be straightened, but you would have to heat it, and replace the button. It looks like Stewmac has the repros, and could even do it for you, and match the colour. You could *probably* do it, without affecting the finish on the sheetmetal bits of it .
Presently both guitars are listed as Brazilian Rosewood. I think on the $7500 one he says fret-end type binding but it doesn't look it. All I see is the binding's edges knocked off, btw. the frets. I'd be more concerned with the trussrod situ. and seeing the neck with a straightedge against it, it's action height, and that the bridge isn't sitting against the belly.

you can let him know your interest, and have him contact you through our forum.
I'm really not interested in the price he's selling it for. I'd only pay 3500 because it needs so much work to make it playable. He's asking 5k so I don't want to go through the trouble just to shoot him a lowball offer. If he sees this and would be willing to sell for 3500 then he can let me know.

it looks like on the treble side of the neck, just below the headstock, is what appears to be a crack in the finish
I think it's more serious than a finish crack. you can tell by the bent tuning peg that it fell over backwards and took a hard blow. But in addition to that, look at the frets. The frets have deep grooves worn into them and only a refret will correct the problem. I don't know about the refret process on les pauls but I've seen people remove the fret nubs when refretting them, so those might have to go. Also, the fretboard itself is deeply pitted. The guitar has just seen a ton of use.

Back