Hibiki

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luis

Reaction score
Tokai has released some special models from time to time. Some of them are ordering by another companies/retailers. I have been very curious with these kind of orders because they have some very interesting special features. I just recall Pacifix (a high end product firm) and now Hibiki. Both have some different specs, being Hibiki more accurate in some specs.
I am lucky local people ask me about this or that Tokai model, which one to get and to try Tokais comparing with the ones I have.

OK, so I got very lucky to be able to play a HLS-360 so I searched for info regarding Hibiki which is very few(thanks TJ for your help).
I just found Hibiki highest end were made between 2009 and 2010 years and got very subtle flamed tops wich is accurate too because there are a lot of 59 models with few or no flamed tops. Neck is a bit thinner than LS-320/380s but very fast to play. Nut is some kind of nylon (delrin).Finguerboard is figured and great looking,seems selected. Fret edge binding as it should be.

Body/neck union has vintage correct angle which makes the guitar special. I feel this guitar has a fast attack and very good sustain. ABR and tailpiece set-up-low- could help to achieve it however.

Finish is very red. I firstly thought it was odd but I just read Gil Yaron saying Les Pauls had strong red when new so I think it is another special feature you won?t find in another Tokai.

Electronics are usual high en Tokai(LS-320) and pickups are HM-3 instead of HP-1 as mentioned in specs. I just asked about them and I was told they are correct. I feel these pickups strong sounding but it seems it was what Hibiki was after when ordering the series.Lot of sustain and rock?n?roll tones.

In summary another very good guitar from Tokai as usual and one of a kind!

Would love to try a Pacifix now.

Good stuff - these HLS models were spec'd to be the most accurate clones of the original LPs by Tokai in modern times.

I believe the lower models (160) have veneer though? Not sure.

Back