Help identifying a Tokai Custom Edition Strat copy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navdi

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first guitar, purchased in the early nineties. The headstock says Tokai Custom Edition in a flourishing style in black letters. The plate at the base of the neck has the numbers 12395. Judging from info found on this site, I think the number means it's a copy of a 1956-60 Fender Strat. The letter style on the headstock seems to place the year of make at 1986.

The back plate and the whammy bar are missing. The original bridge single coil microphone has been replaced with a Jackson humbucker.

Any further information would be appreciated. Also, if you need pictures to identify, let me know what kind of pictures.

Some photos here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Byv1rDUknXOYfnNNMnVveU1POHNTUVJNdHZCalpHN2tYeFVhVjl1NS1iUVRNSnZsUWdXYWM&usp=sharing

Strange enough i have just got a custom edition tele which arrived today! im unsure of the year too

look here http://www.tokairegistry.com/catalogs.html see if you can find yours on the custom edition pages

Thank you for the tip!

I did have a look through, but did not spot the exact model I have. The pictures do seem to verify that this guitar is from around 1986, though, so I guess I'll just have to keep digging for more information. I'll have a look at possible neck and pickup markings when I'll get around to changing the strings.

Info on these customs are sketchy, mine came from Japan, I can't even find it in the catalogue lol, ive got my post in the vintage section if you wanted to look,

I did have a look at your Tele pictures. There are a lot of similarities to my Strat Custom Edition.

Same body and scratch plate color.

The logo on the head stock is identical.

Judging from the wood colors, appears to be made of the same types of wood, e.g. rosewood fingerboard, also same neck and body woods, judging from what little can be seen where the paint isn't covering it completely. Are those maple and alder respectively?

Latest posts

Back