Help identify Jazz Sound bass

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptrmarin

Reaction score
Hello,
I want to know more info on a Tokai Jazz Sound bass I picked up in London a couple of days ago. I just can't find more info from this basses in the forum.

Serial is 216979

They told me it was an '83 but honestly I can't find any info if that's true. Also, I went to see if there was any info inside the controls cavity or in the neck and I found some letters/number that match each.
The neck read 4-1 and the body reads 4-1 OW and what it looks like an x. Also, while taking the neck apart I can see some hand written words over the glue of the back of the neck plates that reads 'Beveridge Hastings' with some numbers under that. I'm assuming it could be whoever serviced the bass in the past?

I will appreciate any help.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2726.jpg
    IMG_2726.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2727.jpg
    IMG_2727.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2738.jpg
    IMG_2738.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 0
  • tokai.jpeg
    tokai.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 0
Cool bass.

It is not an '83. It was made in April of 1987 it looks like.

Check out this thread for six digit serial numbers starting with 2xxxxx.

Six Digit Serial Numbers With 2xxxxx 1986 1987

If you post pics of your pots they very likely have dates as well that will help confirm it.

Probably have a pot code similar to 71 or 72.

Last edited:
The product line shrank considerably by 1987.

It is possibly a TJB45 OWR like this one in the catalog.

Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 10.29.21 PM.png

It is possible the tuners were changed. If you ever take one off you may see other holes in there. 4 screw was a reverse wound tuner on higher models.

Last edited:
By the way, the OW is the color - Olympic White.

R is rosewood fretboard.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Forgot to attach this picture. Can't see dates or clear numbers there.
Also, the tuners are the 4 screw type, don't know if that confirms to be an '87 production?

Attachments

• IMG_2740.jpg
    IMG_2740.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 0
Looks like the pots were changed. Those date to August 1990. Maybe when they changed the tuners? I would not be surprised if the pickups were replaced as well.

Back