Help for the model

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_C_King

Reaction score
Hi guys;

I have just bought a Tokai which I can not found it in catolog. Can you help me about its model and its specs. Its serial is 4020875. Deluxe is written on tuners. Do you think the top is maple?

AlanN said:
Oak finish LS85Q?

http://www.ariseinstruments.com/shop/catalog/images/Tokai%20LS85Q%20Oak.jpg

but the serial says it is 1984 model, are LS85Q produced in that year?

marcusnieman said:
C_C_King said:
AlanN said:
Oak finish LS85Q?

http://www.ariseinstruments.com/shop/catalog/images/Tokai%20LS85Q%20Oak.jpg

but the serial says it is 1984 model, are LS85Q produced in that year?

Could be 94

No, it could not, according to chart below;

I will give more detailed info when I get home, thanx for replies, I appreciate.

1977 700xxxx
1978 800xxxx
1979 900xxxx
1980 00xxxxx
1981 10xxxxx
1982 20xxxxx
1983 30xxxxx
1984 40xxxxx
1985 50xxxxx
1986 60xxxxx
1987 70xxxxx
1988 80xxxxx
1989 89xxxxx
1990 90xxxxx
1991 91xxxxx
1992 92xxxxx
1993 93xxxxx
1994 94xxxxx
1995 95xxxxx
1996 96xxxxx
1997 97xxxxx
1998 98xxxxx
1999 99xxxxx
2000 00xxxxx
2001 01xxxxx
2002 02xxxxx
2003 03xxxxx
2004 04xxxxx
2005 05xxxxx

Take a pickup out and photograph the top through the cavity please - should answer your question about what it's made of, and will tell us if it's an 85Q too.

Hello again;

I took out pickups, Tokai 57 PAF is written on them. One piece mahogany at back. One piece neck. Excuse me for the quality of pictures, i do not have a well quality camera. Can you please support your ideas instead of just saying this is this. For instance according to what you are saying "It's not an 84"

Best wishes;

Can you please support your ideas instead of just saying this is this. For instance according to what you are saying "It's not an 84"

There wasn't an oak finish quilt top in 84 - it's as simple as that. Go to the catalog section - while there is no catalog for 94, there is one for 95 with an LS70 quilt top that comes in oak:

www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/v1807.jpg

The Tokai 57 PAFs suggest it's an 84; you might have a rare one there! Pics are very blurry so it's hard to tell if the top is a laminate, but you've definitely got a maple cap, so you can really ignore the laminate question - it's irrelevant to the tone and resonance.

Marcus, look at the top - it's quilt, but nowhere near the insane level of quilt the newer laminates have. The pickups suggest the '84 serial is correct too. If it's right, it could have been a special order.

AlanN said:
The Tokai 57 PAFs suggest it's an 84; you might have a rare one there! Pics are very blurry so it's hard to tell if the top is a laminate, but you've definitely got a maple cap, so you can really ignore the laminate question - it's irrelevant to the tone and resonance.

Marcus, look at the top - it's quilt, but nowhere near the insane level of quilt the newer laminates have. The pickups suggest the '84 serial is correct too. If it's right, it could have been a special order.

thats cool, thanx for the repyl.

I have seen another one like this, from memory it was earlier {80-81} and it was a quilt top as well. The catalogues are only a guide, there were models produced that were not in the catalogues, thats what makes it hard to identify Japanese guitars. I also have a gold top that is in no catalogues.

Mick

Thanx guys. I was just wondering the exact model.
But whatever it is, this is a dreamy guitar. It sounds perfect, neck is comfortable, craftmanship is great. I always buy and then sell the guitars but this seem like to be permanent.

Hi guys..

Is there a way to understand if the finish of this guitar is nitro or not ??

Thanx
CC

C_C_King said:
Hi guys..

Is there a way to understand if the finish of this guitar is nitro or not ??

Thanx
CC

Scroll down to the last couple of pictures of this gorgeous MIJ Fender Extrad strat and you'll see now nitro reacts to things it doesn't like:

http://guitargai.com/html_folder/gai_fenderA.html#

I applied acetone test, the finish reacted to the acetone and here is the picture.. So is it nitro??

Just for future reference, you might want to do that acetone test inside a pickup cavity, somewhere where it won't be noticed. Nice guitar! I 've seen an earlier one in that color aswell :D

Back