Help? 1991 LS-60?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadbrochills

Reaction score
Newb here, in the market for another guitar and have been wanting a Tokai for a while now.

Looking on Reverb, I came across a 1991 Tokai LS-60, which looks legit, but I can't find much info on any 1991 models. I made an offer for $1100, which the guy accepted, but I'm having a bit of apprehension due to the year. Here's the listing, any help would be appreciated!

https://reverb.com/item/51598118-19...-super-classics-guitar-dude-custom-demo-video

The 90s guitars can be tough to sort out. There are LS55 and LS65 guitars at that time. Not sure about an LS60. He actually gets some rare stuff, not sure how, so he could be right about the model number. I bought a rare TST70 from him a couple years ago and it's an amazing guitar.

The serial number looks legit. Seems like they re-set each year in the 90s on the number count? First two digits were the year.

Once you get it, pull the neck pickup and look in the cavity. There is probably a model number stamped in there. the seller may have actually already done that since he thinks it is an LS60.

I had a 90s LS55 and didn't care for the pickups in it. If you keep it and you have those pickups you may want to swap them out in time.

Here are some others to look at from that period.

LS55 and 65 Mid 1990s

Is my serial number 9203465 a Love Rock LS-65?

Awesome info and good to hear from someone else who's actually bought a guitar from him. It's a looker which was what made me make an offer, but then I got (early) buyer's remorse after not finding much info on them, which admittedly I should have done prior to making an offer. That and it's been listed for a year or so, I feel like if it was something that was sought after, it would've been sold by now.

I'm torn between going through with the purchase on that or this 2014 Heritage H-150PM in pretty much mint condition.
https://reverb.com/item/71733105-he...Q.uiymCYr1SqYcbFRa6wa6tibDZDx0e274rVw1ttof9Bs

I don't know anything about Heritage guitars, but I do know a thing or two about Tokais. That LS60 is a plain top and has a two piece back at least. Not 1 piece. That means it also has a poly finish and the pickups put in those at that time are not very impressive IMHO.

If you do back out there are other options for sure. I post links to Tokais for sale all the time that I come across on line. Just check the eBay section of this forum. Lots of fish in the sea.

Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts

I don't know anything about Heritage guitars, but I do know a thing or two about Tokais. That LS60 is a plain top and has a two piece back at least. Not 1 piece. That means it also has a poly finish and the pickups put in those at that time are not very impressive IMHO.

If you do back out there are other options for sure. I post links to Tokais for sale all the time that I come across on line. Just check the eBay section of this forum. Lots of fish in the sea.

Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts
Gotcha. Yeah, I think I'm going to back out of that one, just don't have the best feeling about it.

Back