Got some MVF, Matt Violin Finish guitars today...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamond

Reaction score
Wow...they are amazing.
Hard to appreciate in a photograph, but man they feel amazing...it's like they have no finish on the back of the neck, very very smooth and comfy on the hand...actually it looks like they have no finish anywhere on the guitar.

I'd imagine they're poly finished and not polished to a gloss...but it sure looks like almost raw wood...I'd describe them as satin finished.

There's some great photos on Richtones page...check them out.

Try one, they're amazing.

Obviously no ones ever seen or held or played one.

Most probably the nicest guitar finish you'll ever see in your entire life on any guitar made by anyone...on planet earth.

:)

Satin finish on necks - best clear finish out there for playability IMO. Bacchus and Momose use this as well, when they're not working within the confines of recreating "traditional" elements in their guitars.

For some reason guitar purists can't handle a satin finish on a LP even though they complain about the neck being sticky! :lol:
It doesn't matter to me what's on the body, but satin on the neck is very nice.

Another good finish that is disliked by purists is the oil finish, also used by Bacchus, on the clones as well as the newer designs, and it's a great feeling finish. But funnily enough an oil finished LP does not get as high a price as a painted glossy one. You gotta chuckle...

Richard - all your photos are awesome...whenever I need to see a photo of one of the models I hit your site and check them out. :)

JV - the back of the neck is awesome, the hand slides so smoothly, feels great.

I'm still trying to figure out what the finish is, it can't be poly can it?
The wood has to be sealed in some way, but it looks like there's no finish at all.

Diamond said:
Obviously no ones ever seen or held or played one.

Most probably the nicest guitar finish you'll ever see in your entire life on any guitar made by anyone...on planet earth.

:)

Uh oh!

20j5ve9.jpg

youami

How many top of the range PRS and Gibson guitars have you owned and played?

JVsearch said:
Satin finish on necks - best clear finish out there for playability IMO. Bacchus and Momose use this as well...

...you can add Gibson to that list also ;) But yes, brand new, unplayed gloss nitro neck could be real pain in bottom.

Just got an e mail/answer from Tokai, the MVF is poly.

Just goes to show what you can with poly...it's not always a thick plastic wrapping over the wood as some guitarists on the internet describe it.

fwiw, the satin finish on my Ernie Ball Silhouette Special makes it the easiest guitar I have for getting up and down the neck - particularly when you get sweaty palms and stage nerves in first couple of live numbers !!!

I just dont dare do the 800 grit thing to my LS150 though ........ even tho' I know I'l never sell it

Rgds
Pete

pedrocortez said:
I just dont dare do the 800 grit thing to my LS150 though ........ even tho' I know I'l never sell it

Rgds
Pete

I've satinized most of the necks of my guitars.... much easier to play. Aside from 800 grit, a popular alternative are Scotch Brite pads. You just gently wipe the neck with them for a bit, go back and wipe it down with a tack cloth to remove the dust and you're good to go:

http://chamberspackagingconnection.shoppkg.com/Images/ProductImages/3734_xl.jpg

Back