EGC1000 Super Real - pics wanted

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick51

Reaction score
Specifically, if anyone has pics of the controls rout, showing the rout itself, original pots and caps, wiring, etc. I'm interested in seeing what should be there. This is the so-called "Black Beauty." Thanks.

Mick51 said:
Specifically, if anyone has pics of the controls rout, showing the rout itself, original pots and caps, wiring, etc. I'm interested in seeing what should be there. This is the so-called "Black Beauty." Thanks.

I will have a look at some EGF's tomorrow.
They should have the same pots and caps.

One thing that I have noticed on many SR from 80-81 is that they have some kind of red marker on the pots.

Mine's late 81.

DSC05550.jpg

Help?

hi
i got a egc 800 serial A81xxxx that looks the same ,,,,
a small brown cap ..
all the best
otto

soundcreation said:
Mine's late 81.
Help?

Yes. Thank you very much.
I am astounded to see they originally used the large ceramic disc caps on an upper-end guitar. It confirms what I had seen. But, I'm still bum fuzzled..

So, is yours a zinc (pot metal) tailpiece, rather than aluminum, also?

I don't know. How do you tell? It seems pretty light so I kind of assume it's aluminum but I don't know for sure.

So you think I should swap out the electronics? The guitar sounds amazing enough as it is...it could get even better?

[/quote]

I am astounded to see they originally used the large ceramic disc caps on an upper-end guitar. It confirms what I had seen. But, I'm still bum fuzzled..

[/quote]

This and veneer tops are people prepared to hype as the greatest and then pay top dollar for it :D

I've never heard anyone hype veneer tops???...at least in terms of being better than solid.

I thought it was funny as well with the caps until someone told me that was normal for the 1000.

soundcreation said:
I don't know. How do you tell? It seems pretty light so I kind of assume it's aluminum but I don't know for sure.

So you think I should swap out the electronics? The guitar sounds amazing enough as it is...it could get even better?

Tailpiece - Mine is definintely pot metal. Quite heavy compared to an aluminum tailpiece; but, heavy is a relative term. With a solid mahogany top, it may actually be very reasonable to have this rather than aluminum. When I change strings someday, I'll swap the tailpiece and see what difference there is.

Electronics - If you're happy with the sound, just leave it alone. Personally, ceramic caps don't last long at my house. I have a drawer full of NOS and Russian PIO caps, and they go into anything that doesn't already have PIO caps. But that's a personal choice. Let your ears be your guide.

My only real complaint is that the bridge and neck p/ups aren't balanced. I've adjusted the p/ups, both for p/up height and polepiece height, to hit the tonal sweet spot, and the bridge p/up is just low in output. If I were to pull the p/ups, I suspect that I would find them to be about matched in impedance, instead of the bridge being 500 - 800 ohms hotter. But, that's just a guess, and I'm not about to pull the p/ups just to check it. Nothing I'm going to do about it, and I'm definitely not replacing a Dry-Z with something else. Live with it, and punch up the preamp section a bit.

Latest posts

Back