Changing string guage - top E problem on my LS150

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedrocortez

Reaction score
Hi

I just need some advice on neck adjustment ( i think )

I just changed strings on my 05 LS150, from .10's to .09's and now Ive noticed that the top E is choking off slightly on the frets somewhere - making it "zing" like a sitar if you know what I mean.

I seem to get this both open and when fretted - even high up the neck

All other strings are perfect - just the top E.

At first i thought it might be a tiny bit of swarf on the bridge saddle - but I cant see anything there - and have cleaned the nut slot too ( which would only affect the open string anyway )

I now think it must be neck relief from changing strings

what should I check for and how much truss rod adjustment would this need to cure ? Very frustrating - and gigging with it tonight !!

Rgds
Pete

Dropping a string gauge will result in slightly less relief. Hold the bottom E at the 3rd & 15th ftrts and check you can see daylight above the 9th, if you can't, or it really is a tiny amount then slacken the truss rod by 1/4 turn and try again.

I like my LP necks as straight as possible, but a very small amound of relief is needed.

If it's all the way up the neck then it is possible that it is the saddle though.

I had a similar issue regarding a '05 LS-150 stock strings and changing to Gibson humbucking brand, third string got some kind of muffled inmediatly....

I had the same with the factory strings on my LS150. I raised the gauge to 10's, raised the bridge a tiny bit and it disappeared.

Many Les Paul type guitars do that, they just need a quick tweak.

Hi

took it to local guitar shop today ....

he reckoned neck was pretty near perfect but said the nut slot seemed cut for 10's and 9 was sitting too loose in but and vibrating.

I stuck a 10 top E back on a and its pretty much cured.
Maybe I should stick to .10's from now on...

He had a lovely 05 Love Rock in the store - belonging to one of his staff - we werent sure which model ( plain top - very subtle burst )
It was a beautiful player
Need to take a shot of it and find out what model it is.

Also i never realised that the bridge had a pice of wire retaining the saddles till i messed with the bridge - live and learn.

Cheers
Pete

Latest posts

Back