Can't identify this Tokai, help?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bird19

Reaction score
Hi there guys and girls, new to this board...primarily because i've never owned a Tokai previously (yes I know how sad) and have recently been aware of their awesome-ness!

I've just won this Tokai on Ebay... for what looks like a decent price but the guy doesn't know the model :S I'm going to fetch it on wednesday but considering my impatient nature, i'd like to find out if it was a good deal or not!

he's given me the serial number... 080664, which after a bit of research led me to guess it would be a 2008 model, right?

here's the link with pictures... unfortunately no up close pictures, will have to wait for wednesday I guess.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120612883551&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123#ht_720wt_934

It has the open book headstock but not the "dimple" one and the truss rod cover leads me seems to have 3 screws which would indicate Korean made?

Anyways i'm sure it sounds good and plays well so for me that's a decent price to pay for one considering the price of some chinese epiphones around...

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm a bit worried now, the seller double confirmed that it had a 6 digit serial number...is it likely to be a cheap chinese fake?

bird19 said:
I'm a bit worried now, the seller double confirmed that it had a 6 digit serial number...is it likely to be a cheap chinese fake?

Based on what the seller description is...i would bail out fast, basically because, the description has very little in it, the seller does not say if japan or korea or china etc....
so there seems to be little you can claim back based on the description and photo's...

So just don't pay and get a no pay bad tick...big deal....i don't think negative feedback will occur, sellers can't do that right? they just give neutral or positive right?

Wait until a better listing pops up.....and the guys here will be happy to point you in the right direction anyway...before you click the buy button. :wink:

yeh i kind rushed into it because it looked quite nice and I didn't realise they made chinese version of tokai's I thought that was why they were better than epiphones ...

well i am bailing out but i don't really want to received negative feedback so i've been very friendly and explained that I kinda rushed it and that he can easily not be an ***,get his fees back and get a free positive feedback by canceling the transaction on a mutual agreement... let's see what happens...

To be fair I probably don't have the money to buy and MIJ Tokai, which is a shame but will have to save up! they go around ?350 minimum?

I was kinda hoping that the guy knew nothing about it and therefore didn;t have a model number to put in the listing but obviously that was foolish...

okay, depending where u are, sometimes is better to just buy from yahoo auction japan, using rinkya or using one of the many buying services that will from a japan shop for you....cut out the middle man...or, buy from a trusted seller is the way to go also of course, there are members here who are 'trusted sellers' and would be delighted to help, they are very good, the feedback here says so.

That guitar might be okay, but, if it it's not genuine you don't seem to have much to fall back on after payment is made, by making a claim through paypal etc...

he says he bought it in denmark street...what's up with that street having cheap ones?

bird19 said:
yeh i kind rushed into it because it looked quite nice and I didn't realise they made chinese version of tokai's I thought that was why they were better than epiphones ...

well i am bailing out but i don't really want to received negative feedback so i've been very friendly and explained that I kinda rushed it and that he can easily not be an ***,get his fees back and get a free positive feedback by canceling the transaction on a mutual agreement... let's see what happens...

To be fair I probably don't have the money to buy and MIJ Tokai, which is a shame but will have to save up! they go around ?350 minimum?

I was kinda hoping that the guy knew nothing about it and therefore didn;t have a model number to put in the listing but obviously that was foolish...

What possible grounds do you have for withdrawing from the purchase? The seller doesn't mention whether it's Chinese, Korean or Japanese, so you can't claim he has misrepresented the guitar. And if you didn't bother to check where it was made before you bid, that's your fault.

Sorry mate, but I think you're being totally unreasonable here. He listed the guitar, you bid for it & now you've bought it. Pay the seller - he's done nothing wrong.

And next time, check what you're buying BEFORE you buy, not after.

Mike

bird19 said:
he says he bought it in denmark street...what's up with that street having cheap ones?

The shops in Denmark Street, like most guitar shops, are mainly full of cheap guitars because that's what most people buy. Even a main Fender dealer like Regent Sound will sell far more Chinese made Squiers than they sell American Fenders.

The budget Tokais are made in China, like most stuff in the world is these days.

bird19 said:
So did you think you were getting one over on him?

greco_burst said:
Based on what the seller description is...i would bail out fast, basically because, the description has very little in it, the seller does not say if japan or korea or china etc....

Snip

So just don't pay and get a no pay bad tick...big deal....i don't think negative feedback will occur, sellers can't do that right? they just give neutral or positive right?

Snip

or, buy from a trusted seller is the way to go also of course, there are members here who are 'trusted sellers' and would be delighted to help, they are very good, the feedback here says so.

Snip
The eBay seller in this case has 100% feedback on 585 items!

stratman323 said:
Sorry mate, but I think you're being totally unreasonable here. He listed the guitar, you bid for it & now you've bought it. Pay the seller - he's done nothing wrong.

Mike

Well said Mike.

Oh, and greco_burst. Remind me not to sell anything to you.

Chris

I think it's not really that much of a big deal - the price was low, so If the guitar is not as good as you expected, you can list it back on ebay without a big money loss.

jacco said:
Mike, were you talking to yourself? :wink:
I know, bad joke...

Nope. In the case you're referring to, I DID ask questions before buying & the seller withheld information. You don't REALLY want to go through that story all over again, do you?

:roll:

so according to some of you i am in the wrong? i know legally he did nothing wrong, but i'm talking morally. I felt I was in the right to say that I wanted to bail out , he could be an *** and say no it's not ok or he could be A DECENT HUMAN BEING and seller and accept not selling something to a buyer that has changed his opinion about the product. I admitted my mistake and apparently some of you would be complete jerks and just do everything to take the money and happily sell something unwanted to someone else.

no it's called hoping to have made a good bargain... :roll:

my point is the fact that he DIDN't state the models name, led me to either think he didn't know himself or that he potentially didn't want to admit it was a chinese model to try and get people to bid...although I thought of that too late

which according to what I read on here is quite a common thing to do with Tokai's, you do have some nerve commenting on here stratman

According to some of you it's ok to list, let's say, a fake football shirt, to not mention it's fake in the description and mis-lead people on purpose by hoping to catch a fish that doesn't know much about the product or that naively believed that it would be the real thing.

great people some of you are... :roll:

definitely not coming back on here again for any help... some of you need to go out a bit more and feel the touch of humans instead of a fretboard

You didn't get a good deal but you certainly weren't ripped off IMO. Pay the man and take responsibility for your actions.

Get your facts stright BEFORE you buy next time.

+1

The guitar was not a fake and the seller did not misrepresent the guitar. The pictures were clear and it was obviously not a japanese model to anyone who had done some research. If you were not sure you shouls have asked questions before agreing to buy.

Dave

bird19 said:
so according to some of you i am in the wrong? i know legally he did nothing wrong, but i'm talking morally. I felt I was in the right to say that I wanted to bail out , he could be an *** and say no it's not ok or he could be A DECENT HUMAN BEING and seller and accept not selling something to a buyer that has changed his opinion about the product. I admitted my mistake and apparently some of you would be complete jerks and just do everything to take the money and happily sell something unwanted to someone else.

no it's called hoping to have made a good bargain... :roll:

my point is the fact that he DIDN't state the models name, led me to either think he didn't know himself or that he potentially didn't want to admit it was a chinese model to try and get people to bid...although I thought of that too late

which according to what I read on here is quite a common thing to do with Tokai's, you do have some nerve commenting on here stratman

According to some of you it's ok to list, let's say, a fake football shirt, to not mention it's fake in the description and mis-lead people on purpose by hoping to catch a fish that doesn't know much about the product or that naively believed that it would be the real thing.

great people some of you are... :roll:

definitely not coming back on here again for any help... some of you need to go out a bit more and feel the touch of humans instead of a fretboard

So you were thinking the seller didn't know what he was selling and you could make a bargain AND you were not decent enough to point this out to him. And now you expect him to act decently to you??? Marvelous :roll:

bird19 said:

Is it a fake Tokai? I thought it was a genuine Tokai. Most Tokais are made in China these days, so I assume any Tokai for sale is Chinese until the seller says it isn't.

Your football shirt analogy doesn't work unless this is, in fact a fake Tokai. And it isn't, is it?

stratman323 said:
What possible grounds do you have for withdrawing from the purchase? The seller doesn't mention whether it's Chinese, Korean or Japanese, so you can't claim he has misrepresented the guitar. And if you didn't bother to check where it was made before you bid, that's your fault.

Mike

Yeah, he's made a mistake - we've all done it in our initial forays into the guitar buying game. People have done it to me on ebay a few times, and depending on how they come across I have been nice about it and let them off, or slammed them with everything at my disposal (neg feedback, stuff all really).

Just take the neg and forget about it mate, better than paying that price for something you can buy new for 275. I think you will need more than 350 to get the real deal though, so borrow the extra money and get a Japanese model asap.

jacco said:
So you were thinking the seller didn't know what he was selling and you could make a bargain AND you were not decent enough to point this out to him. And now you expect him to act decently to you??? Marvelous :roll:

+1

I was going to write a reply myself but life's too short.

hahaha I have to point out to a seller that he's underpricing the guitar??? :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

so once again, the seller can profit over ignorant naive buyers, that's all fine and in order but trying to get a good deal, which is at the end of the day what EVERYONE IS DOING ON EBAY, is me trying to rip the seller off?

Fortunately the guy wasn't as a douche as some of you and cancelled the transaction...

the guy clearly new it was a cheap Chinese version, he admitted it when I emailed him, and denying the buyer from knowing that and omitting serious information like that, is borderline conning people... fell into it but somehow end up being the bad guy...

Is it a fake Tokai? I thought it was a genuine Tokai. Most Tokais are made in China these days, so I assume any Tokai for sale is Chinese until the seller says it isn't.

Your football shirt analogy doesn't work unless this is, in fact a fake Tokai. And it isn't, is it?

it could have been fake, the description and listing would have been the same... try harder next time you want to contradict someone...

FACT is I should have emailed him before bidding

but another FACT is that purposely omitting to mention the origin of a product, which is quite important, in the hope of making more money out of it because it leaves the odd chance, and I'm the proof, that someone will fall for it thinking that it's worth it, is completely dishonest and disgusting frankly.

r if you're unhappy with my example here's one, if I sold an antique vase that is deemed more valuable when it was made in the 1950's in comparison to the 1960's version, and "forgot" to mention it was the 60's version that would be borderline dishonest...

anyways cheerio lads, recommend you interact with humans a bit more.

Peace and love to you all!

Back