bridge & saddles in old LS320 & new SG155

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roe

Reaction score
hi,

does anybody know which bridges and saddles these guitars use?

my about 5 years old ls320 has zink saddles, the size seems to be between the standard gibson abr1 and nashville saddles.
the new sg155 has brass saddles that is slightly bigger than the the standard gibson abr1 saddles.

On all my gibby style guitars, I want to use brass saddles on the plain strings and zinc (or titan, steel or aluminium) on the wound strings.

I've tried this on my SG (the standard abr1 saddles do fit pretty well, but not 100%) and tele/esq with great results: bass is crisper, brighter and more defined while the highs are not bright and piercing.

where can I buy brass saddles for my LS320? or where can I buy a new bridge for the ls320 that I can use both zinc and brass saddles in?

Is the standard gibson abr1 zinc saddles the best for the sg155's bass strings - or is there somehing better?

the point is to get better balance. this solution with different metals on different stings is common on telecasters. it works very well. better string balance, esp. with pure nickel wound strings or flatwounds. see http://www.glendaleguitars.com/saddles.htm

Roe said:
... where can I buy brass saddles for my LS320?

Roe, I don't recommend to change only the saddles.
It is really impossible to find saddles which fits your original bridge with 100% satisfaction. And this is very important for the vibration transmission.

Make it simple and efficient and buy an ABR1, with already equipped brass saddles.

Where?
Me!
But I'm sold out right now. Should have it again in one month.

Hi!
Just did some testing the last few weeks with different bridge saddle materials.

Steel, zink and brass.

If ya want a steel sharp sound like a piano with brandnew strings, then get steel saddles. To me it?s been too much!

Zink and brass sound very simular to me, but brass is a bit rounder and sustain is nicer. On my SG I left the brass saddles.

On my LS135 I had some probs with the stock bridge. You can see it on the pic why! Had to change it. Now this guitar sounds great!

Nice day, "ACY"

bridge_mies_01.jpg

Gottfried,just let me know when new ABR-1 batch arrive,I?m interesting in.The Faber kit is really good so it would match great with a ABR-1...

ACY where did you get the different saddles? Could you sell me a few steel saddles (for the low E on a es335 and possibly something else)?

Gottfried,
I'm interested in the ABR1 as well.

Hi!
The steel saddles are mounted on a bridge without that metal clip. (ABR-1)

3603n.jpg

The brass saddles I get fit perfect in Tokai ABR-1 copies.

Sorry, but no Steel saddles "only"!

Nice day, cheers: "ACY"

ACY,

thanks for the help with the angus pups. the highorder angus pups turned out very well. with the somewhat low output of a t top pup (7,75k) I think the key is to get a slightly degaussed A5 magnet. otherwise it'll be to bright and harsh.

Hi!
That steel saddle bridge is not a ABR-1. It?s very close (or simular) to that smaller Gotoh bridge (11mm). I get it from one of my german distributors.
nice day, "ACY"

Latest posts

Back