Breezysound 3-barrel and 6-saddle bridges (not) interchangeable?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer J. Simpson

Reaction score
I'm expecting delivery of a 1982 TE-70 '64 model with the period-correct 3-barrel ashtray bridge. As much as I admire how nicely that resembles what can be found on a '64 Custom Telecaster, I'm not a big fan of making compromises re intonation and I was wondering if the bridge could be simply replaced with a Tokai 6-saddle bridge (oddly some earlier TE-70s have that one and I've seen both on 1981 examples).

But this old thread (where someone wanted to swap the 6-saddle bridge for an ashtray) seems to say that they may have different spacing, because there was a change from imperial to metric in 1983. That may or may not indicate that they are interchangeable if the replacement is from the same era. Anybody having any insight on this?

(Of course I may get away with compensated saddles but I'd love use a Tokai part of the same age).

See these threads and the translations.
Thank you! Of course I have seen and read them all before, particularly the magazine pages about the TE (that's also where I have the oddly specific " '64 model" from). :).

Yes, the ashtray bridges seem to come up in 1981 but the 6-saddle bridges were still used concurrently, sometimes on the same models and I wonder if there's any rhyme or reason to this.

However, today was the first time I read about a change from imperial to metric on Tokai parts, which sounds really odd. Thank you for the link to the bridge but if this is true I wouldn't know whether it would fit or not, depending on when it was made?

Alas even viewing the Japanese Yahoo pages isn't easily possible in Europe, not to mention bidding so getting hold of such a bridge won't be easy I guess

I see in your other post that it has a Final Prospec tail.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 10.57.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 10.57.38 AM.png
    91 KB · Views: 1
  • 26859-c7e49aade5f76f1b754154ed26e8e378.jpg
    26859-c7e49aade5f76f1b754154ed26e8e378.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
1982 spring catalog

1964 MODEL
TE70YSR ¥70,000

The coveted TE70 has a cell binding body and a bright sunburst finish. The unique Crochan head, silver type logo, rose fingerboard, and celluloid white 3-ply pickguard perfectly recreate the feel of the '60s. Sharp and bright, old and sensitive American sound is attractive.

TE70YSR.jpg

1982 catalog

●Bridge & Tailpiece: Final Prospec. Perfect replica bridge & tailpiece. TE50 retains Tokai's proud original 6WAY, and all other models have finally adopted a perfect replica bridge & tailpiece that matches the history.

Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 11.15.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 11.15.58 AM.png

Last edited:
I guess the Final Prospec bridges were introduced in 1982?
Oh wow, indeed it does! Never noticed that in on the catalog page. BTW here's a bridge pic of the guitar in question:

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 22.21.02.jpg

Note the threaded steel barrels - period correct for bridges between 1958 and 1968. The saddles on the catalog pic look like plain brass (likely grounded flat at the bottom), period correct for a 1952 "Blackguard". Well , we know that Tokai really meant what they wrote back then. :)

Last edited:
Mounting holes seem to have the same spacing?

If there's a difference, I'd expect it to be too small to see:

The screw holes don't line up prefectly, between a stock Tokai 6-saddle and stock Tokai 3-saddle bridge (from the '80s).

I don't know about other brands, but the difference was enough that I didn't replace the 6-saddle on my '81 Breezy... I didn't want to fill original and then drill new holes...

I believe there was a change in the mid 80s from imperial to metric measurements. Consequently the spacings changed.

Sorry, forgot about the spacing thingy. I thought this was discussed inside out already. Of course there was a change, happened 1983/84 for Breezys.
(Emphasis by me). Like I said, that's the first time I hear that there was such a thing. The last poster also mentioned that happened on LS models in 1981 and I'd wonder when ST models were changed then. That also sounds like earlier models would be compatible with US hardware (and aftermarket parts for US models), later models a bit less?

I dunno. Notice that they don't say what years precisely that they are talking about.

Not sure how you can figure it out without buying something.

I had similar problems matching pickguards on a Springy and a Breezy. Spacing was just slightly off.

Not sure how you can figure it out without buying something.

I probably can't, but if that story is true and my conclusions correct, I may have a good hint on what to try first (guitar was possibly made before the change = imperial Fender replacement part may fit just fine).

Back