Aspen & Prototype Acoustic Questions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As in - any prototype guitars that were made before official production of these Cats Eye models?

I have seen a lot of Tokai acoustics made before 1975. Not sure that any of them are what I would call a prototype.

Do you have any photos? That would be helpful.

Check out the links in the first post in this thread if you have not seen them already.

De-Coding Tokai Acoustic Serial Numbers

From the Aspen Guitars page on Facebook:

History Lesson:
Aspen was a brand name of a distributor, the International Music Corporation (IMC), of Fort Worth, Texas. This is the same company that imported Japanese guitars under the Hondo name. Aspen guitars were initially produced in Japan and later Korea (I believe). The Japan years were throughout the 70's, I do not have exact dates, but the early 80's Aspen models marked 'Made in Korea' are questionable in quality and consistency. The Japanese made models were generally quite good playing guitars. The Korean made ones are hit and miss on quality. The Japanese made acoustics were good copies of Martin models and 1 model (the DH-32) made to resemble the Gibson Dove. They also made Strat, tele and Les Paul and Gibson 335 copies that were quite good looking guitars. There are also bass guitars that are similar to the Fender P. A few weeks ago I saw a bass that resembled a rickenbacker. I personally have never touched an electric model Aspen and can't speak to the sound quality.

So looks like Aspen is a brand rather than a mfr. Not sure of any links to Tokai other than using the same distributor. Others on here will know better and will probably chime in soon.

Since IMC was importing a lot of guitars from different sources it isn't surprising that a few Martin copies appear to be sourced from Tokai. Here's an example:

https://reverb.com/item/59649327-ca...rototype-tokai-mij-d-35-martin-copy-new-video
Besides the usual bogus seller drivel it has a Tokai model number and one of the many different Tokai serial schemes but AFAIK / AFAICR (it's been a while since I looked into that) it can't be said that all Aspen acoustics were made by Tokai.

Interesting. And I think you are spot on as usual.

Homer, maybe you can help me sort out some stuff?

I discovered two concurrent serial numbering systems in the 1970s on Cats Eyes.

One is model number based

Cat’s Eyes Model Based Serial Numbers

and the other is date based like this Apsen CE800.

Cat’s Eyes Serial Numbers Ending in Year Made 1975-1981

The model based ones are 450,000 yen and less, the year based ones are 400,000 yen and above.

Seems as if they may have been made in separate locations.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.19.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.19.19 AM.png
    796.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.18.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.18.07 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.18.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.18.29 AM.png
    990.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.18.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.18.38 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.18.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.18.44 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.18.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.18.48 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.18.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.18.53 AM.png
    722.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.19.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.19.14 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.19.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.19.43 AM.png
    727.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.19.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.19.53 AM.png
    972.9 KB · Views: 0
Btw, I don't see this Aspen as a prototype of a Cat's Eyes. The first Cat's Eyes I see are from 1975, and one may surface that is earlier since the catalog came out in 1975.

This Apsen seems more like another example of Tokai building guitars for folks with their labels. Similar to Sigmas for Martin, etc.

It may be a prototype for future Aspens though... made by subsequent builders.

I discovered two concurrent serial numbering systems in the 1970s on Cats Eyes.

Yeah, I've seen these threads and my (not incredibly helpful) idea is that the different serial schemes (and the different price tiers) may indicate the different factories in which they were made, the pricier ones in the Terashima (or Terajima) factory Norihiro Yoshida mentioned and the other ones in.. the Terawaki-cho main factory?

Exactly my thoughts, although he made the division at a different price level as I recall. Very interesting.

Btw, I don't see this Aspen as a prototype of a Cat's Eyes. The first Cat's Eyes I see are from 1975, and one may surface that is earlier since the catalog came out in 1975.

Yeah that's what I meant by "seller drivel". :)

This Apsen seems more like another example of Tokai building guitars for folks with their labels. Similar to Sigmas for Martin, etc.

If you check the various Aspen labeled offers on Reverb you'll see that they imported very <cough> diverse stuff, including bolt-on neck acoustics. :) I guess very few of the acoustics were made by Tokai.

Yeah, I've seen these threads and my (not incredibly helpful) idea is that the different serial schemes (and the different price tiers) may indicate the different factories in which they were made, the pricier ones in the Terashima (or Terajima) factory Norihiro Yoshida mentioned and the other ones in.. the Terawaki-cho main factory?
"Raw guitars produced at the headquarters factory in Terawaki were mainly mass-produced products. We produced CE150-CE300 mass-produced products and CE400-CE600 semi-manufactured products. Luxury handicrafts with a CE rating of 800 or higher were made at the "Terashima Factory" on the south side of Hamamatsu Station."

Norihiro Yoshida's Blog, Tokai Employee 1979-1984

I just adjusted the titles of those threads and inserted that info. I am going with it as the truth until convinced otherwise. :cool:

Latest posts

Back