A confusing eBay search for Japanese guitars

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Gibson Korina 58 Explorers cost 5 times what I paid for the Momose.
I believe it's true, Korina models are God **** expensive! Never played any of them, just I can believe that they sounds better than "plain" mahogani. I have a Strat with ebony f'board and since then I search for white Exp with ebony f'board... but rare and very expensive in comparison with saten black one.

Just as a side note, I have seen several of currypowder's guitars posted on line. All gorgeous. You can trust his taste in guitars I would say. :cool:

Just as a side note, I have seen several of currypowder's guitars posted on line. All gorgeous. You can trust his taste in guitars I would say. :cool:
I absolutely said this without a shadow of a doubt, I believe what you said a moment ago, but I'm still a noob in the world of exotic guitars and only after looking at a manufacturer's prices do I look at "what" it's made of. Every day I learn something new and until now I didn't even think about Momose models, only when I came to this nice forum I got another guideline. Given that my budget is very limited (so that my wife would not limit the rest of my days in this world), I always have to choose between what I would like and what is offered for a "reasonable" amount.

Manufacturer's prices?

I never buy new guitars. Lots of deals out there.

Manufacturer's prices?

Yes, I bought some things brand new, such as Thomann - the price of the used guitar on eBay was higher than the new one, and why should I throw away a couple of hundred and guess what condition the guitar is in and whether the seller will take it back. But in general, I can't do that anymore and every day I "dig" on the Internet, starting with eBay, Reverb and on for some reasonable price and a guitar that someone hasn't "targeted" and picked up. Now I would not like to talk about how sometimes the seller does not want to sell outside his country, he only wants to "collect" or he does not want to send to my country - that is just a sad story, like the situation with Dean ML about 15 years ago: he bought alone and in the end the merchant rejected me because I appeared to him to be a "buyer out of distrust"! But I survived and bought through the Dean forum from a store in Kansas almost the same.

Manufacturer's prices?

I very seldom buy new guitars unless heavily discounted. However, with the Momose Korina Explorer and Futura, I did buy them new at the full asking price. When a new run pops up for sale, they are usually very limited (6-12 total) and get snapped up quickly. I don't see them for sale used very often (believe me, I look) and are generally pretty close the the new price when they do. I see the Vs a little more often used, but even those aren't discounted much.

You're very lucky, I wish I was in your position. In this moment I'm mostly focused to Explorer shape (Gibson, Edwards, Tokai, Burny, maybe Grass Roots, so), some well preserved Les Pauls by Orville and Edwards ( I doubt I can get a Les Paul model like the Standard, Classic, Classic Antique or the notorious Custom for a bargain or so). I would say, and I don't think I'm exaggerating, when I say that prices are "pumped up" every day at auctions throughout the West, as well as in the Far East. It's hard for a poor guy like me to grab anything good there... maybe things calm down by the summer?

Back