1984 Tokai SG-60 bought on eBay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishbonz

Reaction score
Just received - it has exceeded expectation, feather weight (a nice change from the LPs) and is in pristine condition. Serial no. dates to 1984 and the '60' sticker is still present. All original by the looks, Tokai 57 PAFs sound good in the studio, can't wait to try out on the next gig. It plays beautifully, has a great resonance through the body, don't even need to set it up as its 'right' for me as is. I did change the truss cover for a 'bell' and the guard screws purely for my taste. The build quality is excellent even FEB, correct headstock angle, nice 2-piece body. I've had a few 60's SGs and this really does stand up to the mark. Just need a decent hard shell case for it now!
IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

That looks like a very accurate copy. They even got the plastic spacer at the neck/body joint right. It's also a very vivid, unfaded red. It's also probably a bit rare to find one of these, isn't it?

thats absolutley superb - looks much better than the crappy shots of it on the ebay auction ( whch put me off it tbh )

let us know how it sounds - i bet its killer.

I have an SG185 on the way - very excited indeed , to sa ythe least.
cant get enough of all thing Tokai SG at the moment !!

more pics and review please !

cheers
Pete

A really gorgeous SG! My entrance in the Tokai world was an SG (65 I think) from '01 I bought when one of the most classic musicshops in my hometown sold out everything, due to the death of the original owner since the late '50:s. It's an amazing guitar, and really changed my mind about how wonderful fat necks can be.

BTW, I would like to change my TR-cover to a bell one too, but I've never got the hang of if standard Gibson types would fit. Where did you get yours?

I have 'gigged' it since my last post, I'm happy to report it performed better than expected in every department. It resonated well acoustically, but with the obvious lack of body mass of my LPs, it was a 'thinner' sound - however plug it in and its a different matter - It's pointless to make comparisons with LPs, it has its own 'character' - but there was nothing it couldn't handle sound wise (for me), the stock p/ups are excellent - there's nothing I would change*.
*That is except the truss rod cover, the 'bell' was in my parts drawer for years, it is Gibson but from what I can't remember - it lined up with the holes exactly - if you want to replace yours just make sure the hole spacing is the same. The cover is just to my personal taste.
Still can't get over the weight - or lack of it!
Here's my dream guitar (today): A Tokai SG of similar vintage in white with P90s . . . mmm.

I had one like that in the late 80s - I bought it new from the London Rock Shop in Camden. I wish I still had it.....

Mike

3rdstone said:
BTW, I would like to change my TR-cover to a bell one too, but I've never got the hang of if standard Gibson types would fit. Where did you get yours?

On my ES130, & LS85S, a basic ?5 Gibson type TRC fitted perfectly into the existing screw holes. On my LS70, the same TRCs don't fit - the screw holes are closer together.

Doesn't make any sense to me, but that's the way it is.

Latest posts

Back