1970s 1979 Cat's Eyes & CF Martin Catalog Hi Res Scans & Translations

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’re very welcome. I have more questions than answers so I keep poking around.

You might message Peter Mac. He tracks production of early Tokai guitars. He may have some thoughts on Cat’s Eyes as well. Good guy and a great resource.

Also, check out the thread I started on Hay Wagon guitars. I had never heard of them, but looks like they were made by Tokai around 1977. Lots of high end jacaranda models. Worth a look.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26158

You been an awesome source of good information and clues. You have answered questions that I forgot about resolving 10 years ago when I got the guitar fully restored and the Luther said it was good as any martin and well worth the cost of restoration (same as cost of guitar, say 1000 us) and that was good enough for me. Yes I looked at those hay guitars, can't remember hearing of them lso similar to cats eyes and priced too. and you've convinced me it's Indian rosewood back and side,on my ce1200 too chocolate and straight grain, I think they redden up some photos of some, no spider web like Brazilian rosewood or jacaranda as tokai describe it, I may be wrong on that it's still awesome either way solid,veneer,brazillian
or indian, people always talk about the bodies but few mention the awesome soft v neck. Even I just knew roughly how many of one model above ce1000 they made in any year I reckon that be a good indicator., I w wonder how many ce2500 were made , but those numbers seem to consistent in what's achievable to produce and also to incline and decline of production based on if numbers are sequential from year to year

The translation for the CE 1200:

TOP: Spruce veneer
SIDES & BACK: Rosewood veneer
NECK: Mahogany
FINGERBOARD & BRIDGE Ebony
STRINGS: Marquis Med.
PRICE: ¥ 120,000
NOTES: Herringbone body purfling.

Back