Tokai Mat Guitars - Any Info?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21apples

Reaction score
Just bought a tokai MAT, bought for ?179.99. The 1986 catalogue says it's a CM802. Hasn't got tremolo. Any feedback? Is it a good price? Let me know what your opinion on this model.

I think it's a good price, the CM-800's have the carbon fiber neck with ebony fingerboard. I have a CM-800 neck on my MAT M-451 from -85. I had a NOS neck and found the 451 which had a bad neck. I like the MAT's, the tone and sustain is excellent and they are lightweight. I also have a MAT 750 series prototype from 1984 in copper chrome finish with gold hw.

Mike

MAT(Most advance Thecnologies) were a bet to quality from Tokai as they were from excellent materials and pickups,a little futuristic however:carbone necks and bodies hot pickups from Lawrence White8they seem similar to EMG).You got it very cheap as they were discontinued and gtot not too much glory between players.I have seen MAT guitars in a 60.000 yen price range.

I think the MATs are truly unique. In a world of ash/alder bodied strats they make a needed/pleasant change. They are made from fibreglass/plastic/resin material NOT wood and sound very resonant....you almost think they are semi-acoustic. (It actually has a very faint fibreglass type smell when you open the case).
If I could only have one guitar it wouldnt be a MAT but IMO they are a must if you want a guitar that sounds that little bit different. Every guitar arsenal or studio should have one.
Sorry I dont know what the current prices are.

Back