Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What LP Reborn compares to a Standard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theflyingturtle
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: What LP Reborn compares to a Standard? Reply with quote

Hi! I'm a new member. I became interested in buying a LP style guitars but would rather it be a different brand than Gibson and Tokai, as far as I know, has produced some very well regarded guitars. Their history is also nebulous as well! If I had a nickle for every incorrecly labled "lawsuit" guitar on Craigslist I could retire. So I have done some research and it seems that the 78'-80' LP Reborns as some of the most highly regarded. This is my question; Which model from LS-50 to LS-200 is comparable to a Gibson "standard"? Thanks.
J.E.M.
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think in those years everything above a 60 is as good, certainly at 100 Tokai's are better than a Gibby standard made back then or now.
theflyingturtle
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thank you very much. The LS 50 and LS 60, are these closer to a Studio? I ask because when trying out LPs everything below a Standard didn't sound or feel very good.
aroomstudios
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LS 50 and 60 have multi piece backs. I would get a LS80 or above. The only difference I know from LS80 to LS 100 is the pickup and a higher lacquer top. If you are planning on installing new picks it does not matter what you get (ls80 or above). I have heard that up to 1981 they were made the exact same as the 79 models. I have a Burny Tokai made custom 78 similar to LS80/100 and a 81 Ls80.

Last edited by aroomstudios on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only difference between 80 and 100 is the pickups, the difference between a new Gibbo standard and an ls 80 is vast the tokai does not have weight relief holes, or kiln dried new growth wood or poor finishing.. an LS80 is far superior..
theflyingturtle
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thank you so much! This helps a lot! Finding info on these MIJ guitars has been a real challenge so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: