Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1983 Tokai strat ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
axeman2966
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guitar originally looks to be a red colour. Confirming my suspicions from the images I've looked at the countersunk holes seem to be a give away. I will try sanding in the control pocket but still want to take the finish off . Just worried it could affect the guitars playability.
iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try a paint stripper (Nitromorse) to remove the layer so that you dont sand off the code, it will be on a paint free area in the control pocket that was laquered over (see book photos)
axeman2966
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://s347.photobucket.com/user/Christopher_Kerry/library/?view=recent&page=1

So after making a start on stripping the guitar I looked in the control pocket and never found a stamp so was wondering if it was indeed a tokai body. When I found it in the middle pick up position what looks like the same stamp as the neck 6=11 and FO - - X there's also possibly some thing stamped in neck pick up but can't make it out. Any one know the body wood?
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alder.
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

The one thing I can confirm for you is the neck is definately Tokai - made sometime between June 1981 and June 1985. If you carefully remove the Fender transfer, you may get a "ghosting" of the original Tokai logo. It should be either script or spaghetti.
The body code " 6=11 FO" in the control cavity would place the body after 1982. There may also be a third letter - Z, X, etc.
The FO indicates the original finish of Flamingo Orange - a similar shade to Fender Fiesta Red. FO was introduced into the colour palette in 1982 also.
As the neck and body codes match, the Neckplate for a Rosewood neck should have had an L+5digit serial number.
The finish was offered in 1982 on ST-50, 60 and 80. From 1983 onward only on TST-70. This is not a TST-70 as they only had Maple necks. If the Alder body has 3 pieces it would be an ST-50. If it's a 2 piece body then an ST-60. ST-80 have Ash bodies so this is not an ST-80.
Electrics are crap - throw them away and get a decent set of pots, capacitors and pickups. Everything else is just minor cosmetics.
Good luck

Peter Mac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: