Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1983 Tokai strat ??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
axeman2966
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: 1983 Tokai strat ?? Reply with quote

I have just got hold of a guitar I was informed its from 83.before I bought it it didn't know a great deal about the guitars other than they were supposed to be solid guitars. I'm like everyone else trying to i.d it so i can refurb it.

problem is the head stock decal has been changed to fender the electrics have been changed guitar has been sprayed and there is no i.d on plate.

http://s347.photobucket.com/user/Christopher_Kerry/library/?view=recent&page=1

Last edited by axeman2966 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, try this:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=20359
axeman2966
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Iain think I've got images uploaded .

http://s347.photobucket.com/user/Christopher_Kerry/library/?view=recent&page=1
Suki
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Body routings do not match anything Tokai I've seen (wire routing) even taking into account it coud have been modded in the bridge and neck positions.

Neck plate is not Tokai, I would suggest it belongs to the body.

Bridge and trem block are not Tokai.

Neck is Tokai. Top E tuner is Tokai, others look like replacements (strange). Cannot verify age.

Electrics look like budget Chinese, pickguard not original.

Partscaster at best.
axeman2966
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the body has been modified at some point and then sprayed. I was thinking the same reference the bridge and electronics. The guitar feels solid well built and had good sustain when played even with not through an amp. I'm thinking about taking the finish off the body anyone done this before and can it damage the guitars playability ?
iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could look to strip the paint off in the cavity to reveal a matching tokai code under the paint?
axeman2966
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a try and see thinking if i remove paint may remove original factory stamp if there is one underneath nothing to loose I suppose. It's and old giitar looks well used so not surprised parts will have been changed/modded.
Thanks for replys.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that both neck and heavily butchered body are Tokai.The electics are some cheap ceramic crap as has been suggested by Ian.
axeman2966
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From research I've done i was thinking the same can see someone has cut away at the body as it's pretty ruff work. Any idea what model or sort of age the neck/body are?
Suki
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not convinced it's a Tokai body because the routings look a little different to me. If it is Tokai body (there's not enough detail in the pics to go on) then it's definitely pre-'86.

No chance of determining date on the neck if the decals are gone, other than it's later than '82, given the cross-head truss rod adjustment.
axeman2966
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only got the guitar the day before I came away to work, didn't pay a great deal for it, hopefully I get some answers when I take the finish off the guitar, Is that the best way to determine the model (the stamped codes) or did that depend on hardware/electronics ??

appreciate the feed back.
Suki
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a nitro test on the neck would reveal if it was a higher end model. The code on the body will only reveal the original colour and if it matches the neck.

The electrics would certainly have helped in determining the model, and to some extent the date.
axeman2966
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Once I get the thing sorted out I'll post again most importantly I'm looking for a solid strat to get some use out of and if I get that I'll be happy regardless,

thanks again.
patchel
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: I strongly believe it is a tokai body Reply with quote

The body is legit, but probably resprayed at the time of the cavity hack. The neck pocket is a dead giveaway. The countersink around the holes, almost as if the tip of the chuck was sunk in about 1 MM and the 4 pin holes. Also, look at the unmolested PU cavity, the two holes where the PU mounting screws could extend. That puts it in the 83 - 84 ish range, from the ones I have seen. If the tremolo mounting screw holes go completely through the body, and enter the cavity below the springs ever so slightly, thats a bit of a Tokai Makers Mark. If you gently sand away the paint in the control cavity, you will probably find a stamp that looks like the neck. Yea, neck plate and electronics are not the high quality stuff that should be on it. Hard to tell, trem may have just been sprayed with the cavities?
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I strongly believe it is a tokai body Reply with quote

patchel wrote:
The body is legit, but probably resprayed at the time of the cavity hack. The neck pocket is a dead giveaway. The countersink around the holes, almost as if the tip of the chuck was sunk in about 1 MM and the 4 pin holes. Also, look at the unmolested PU cavity, the two holes where the PU mounting screws could extend. That puts it in the 83 - 84 ish range, from the ones I have seen. If the tremolo mounting screw holes go completely through the body, and enter the cavity below the springs ever so slightly, thats a bit of a Tokai Makers Mark. If you gently sand away the paint in the control cavity, you will probably find a stamp that looks like the neck. Yea, neck plate and electronics are not the high quality stuff that should be on it. Hard to tell, trem may have just been sprayed with the cavities?
+ 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: