Jazz Sound: Authentic?

Discussion Area for all things on the down low.

Moderator: ned

Post Reply
crabbytiger
Plucker
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:25 pm

Jazz Sound: Authentic?

Post by crabbytiger » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:29 pm

i'm looking for info on a Tokai Jazz Sounds bass i'm about to buy on Ebay.
I want to make sure it's authentic before i go through with it. I can't find any Tokai basses online that look like it, with the maple neck...and there's apparently no serial #. I've been reading about the Canadian or Korean made 'Fakai'. Is this one?
Any help would be great....here's some photos:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... SA:CA:1123

thanks,
JP

marcusnieman
Guitar God
Posts: 9031
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Jazz Sound: Authentic?

Post by marcusnieman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:34 pm

crabbytiger wrote:i'm looking for info on a Tokai Jazz Sounds bass i'm about to buy on Ebay.
I want to make sure it's authentic before i go through with it. I can't find any Tokai basses online that look like it, with the maple neck...and there's apparently no serial #. I've been reading about the Canadian or Korean made 'Fakai'. Is this one?
Any help would be great....here's some photos:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... SA:CA:1123

thanks,
JP
Looks like you bought it...... a few things don't look right to me:

Black block fret position markers
Jazz Bass script on headstock
Headstock shape looks a bit odd

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:46 pm

I disagree with Marcus - the headstock shape looks very odd. :o

Mike

mrsuspend
Guitar God
Posts: 635
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 3:24 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Post by mrsuspend » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:20 pm

The neck wood looks very light, very much like my Korean 2000 Squier Precision and not at all like my 84 Tokai or my 93 MIJ Fender basses.
And considering that logo is supposed to be pre 83... I'd say fake.

/Magnus

crabbytiger
Plucker
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:25 pm

Post by crabbytiger » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:51 pm

thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it.
the plot thickens...
jp

mrsuspend
Guitar God
Posts: 635
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 3:24 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Post by mrsuspend » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:58 pm

No problem Crabbytiger :)
Also it seems to be missing the very characteristic clouding of the chromed parts, although I'm not sure if all late 70's-early 80's Tokais fall victim to this?

/Magnus

marcusnieman
Guitar God
Posts: 9031
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Post by marcusnieman » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:33 am

stratman323 wrote:I disagree with Marcus - the headstock shape looks very odd. :o

Mike
You disagree with me? :o I said the same thing you did - the headstock doesn't look right. :wink:

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:51 am

marcusnieman wrote:
stratman323 wrote:I disagree with Marcus - the headstock shape looks very odd. :o

Mike
You disagree with me? :o I said the same thing you did - the headstock doesn't look right. :wink:
No, you said it looked a bit odd. I think it looks very odd. A difference of emphasis, that's all :wink:

marcusnieman
Guitar God
Posts: 9031
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Post by marcusnieman » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:57 am

stratman323 wrote:
marcusnieman wrote:
stratman323 wrote:I disagree with Marcus - the headstock shape looks very odd. :o

Mike
You disagree with me? :o I said the same thing you did - the headstock doesn't look right. :wink:
No, you said it looked a bit odd. I think it looks very odd. A difference of emphasis, that's all :wink:
As they say, "it's the thought that counts", "like minds think alike", etc......

andyscott
Guitar God
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:49 am
Location: Scotland

Post by andyscott » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:12 am

The headstock looks extremely very peculiarly odd.

That's three feeble minds thinking alike now. :)

Original body, nasty fake neck. Someone's fallen in love with the real Tokai neck and put it on their favourite body. They have a beard, a limp, and an aunty called Betty who passed away in 1984.

That's my 40 odd years of experience talking.

None of them in Tokai basses or psychic matters, though - does that make a difference? :D

Post Reply