My Lovely new Revival Strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

Reaction score
Just arrived yesterday, courtesy of forum member bluejeannot, for half the price I've just sold my Springysound! The most beautiful looking strat I've ever owned. Sounds and plays every bit as good as it looks, easily on-par with a high-end Tokai. As you can probably tell I'm very happy :D

I don't know much about the guitar, apparently a recent (2005) model, if anyone can help provide some more details about the model I would be very grateful!

Have a look at the pics, click to view full size, they are well worth a look!

I'm so chuffed with my new 'not thin & weedy' Strat, I thought I should share it with you :D

'scuse the playing first little lick that came out :-?

Click here to Listen to my New-Fernandes Strat

I can confirm everything that John said. I played the guitar before Gabe sold it to John, & it was me that bought John's Springy ST80, so (for once!) I know what I'm talking about. :lol:

The Fernandes wouldn't suit me - not only is the neck maple (I prefer rosewood), but it's a bit chunkier than I like, but it looks really good, and the quality of the sound (clean through a decent valve amp) was easily as good as my Springy ST60 (E pickups), and very close to my magnificent gold Custom Shop Strat. I believe it has CTS pots & a Vitamin Q cap, so Fernandes didn't skimp when they made it.

Along with Tokai Goldstars, I reckon these Fernandes Strats and Teles have to be amongst the best buys you can get. They're not widely appreciated, so there are some bargains to be had if you keep your eyes open.

Since John has been heard to refer to Strats as "thin & weedy" on this very forum, his conversion is great news! Welcome to the club mate! A good Strat is a wonderful thing to own. :p

Mike

stratman323 said:
Since John has been heard to refer to Strats as "thin & weedy" on this very forum,

Did I say that :oops: :D

It's not going to take the place of my Les Pauls, but it's certainly rekindled my love for Strat's... I feel a few more coming on :wink:

Looks very nice!

I love the finish. Hard to make out exactly in the lighting in the pics. Some kind of off-white?

And wait.... it was you (stratman)!? I lost that auction to you!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol:

It's a bit darker than the flash makes it look, like a dark blonde. It appears to be a very well matched 2-piece body, either that or some sort of photo-flame (the matching is that good).

I'll do the usual 'pull the guitar to bits' shots in a week ot two, for the time being I'm just going to play it! Through my JTM45 it sounds Killer! :D

It's called blond (or blonde), and it's a proper Fender colour, though it was never very common on Strats. As it has gold hardware, it's known as a Mary Kaye Strat, after the Hawaiian jazz player who was photographed playing one in the late 50s. Blonde is usually only applied over an ash body so that the grain shows through - alder is qute plain in comparison, so it wouldn't look as good.

Which auction do you mean Sam? I bought John's ST80 in a private sale - it wasn't on eBay.

JohnA said:
either that or some sort of photo-flame (the matching is that good).

I would be amazed if that was a photo-flame, and let down too. :eek:

Yeah, Must be very well matched if it's a 2-piece!

What's the body? Ash?

stratman323 said:
Which auction do you mean Sam? I bought John's ST80 in a private sale - it wasn't on eBay.

Oops. :oops:

Now I'm awfully confused. Who was selling the silver tele?

:oops:

stratman323 said:
JohnA said:
either that or some sort of photo-flame (the matching is that good).

I would be amazed if that was a photo-flame, and let down too. :eek:

Me too, The book-matching is excellent, and the figuring amazing though almost too good to be true. As I said I'll have a poke about in a week or two and post my findings

sambo27 said:
Now I'm awfully confused. Who was selling the silver tele?
:oops:

I was selling it, so I didn't out-bid you! It was buying the Springy that caused me to sell the grey Breezy. 8)

JohnA, that is a beautiful Fernandes Strat; looks like a 2 piece light weight ash body
I bet it rings like a BELL :)
Thanks for sharing those very nice photos & Congrats :wink:

JohnA said:

Nice. :p I hope you're actually going to keep this guitar for a decent period of time? Say 2 years minimum? You need to give it a chance to prove it's a keeper, & I'm sure if you sell it you'll regret it.

Tell you what, if you go mad and decide to sell it within 2 years, give me or Gabe first refusal. Then at least you'll know where it is when you realise you've made a mistake. 8)

There are a few Fernades Strats & Teles on eBay UK at the moment, but this one caught my eye:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200198510639&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

If it had a rosewood board, I would be very tempted, so it's a good job it's maple. :wink:

No, this one's a keeper!!! I've promised Gabe 1st refusal if I ever sell it, but I really don't think I will. It's so new it'll take some wearing out but I'll do my best! It's nice to have a new guitar for a change, one where everything works!

I never used to change guitars reguarly, I had my 1st strat for ten years and my LP special for nearly 20, it's just since I got an interest in Japanese guitars, so many to try and not enough money to keep them all. I am starting to aquire some definite 'keepers' though, my LS80 goldtop, my Greco EGF850, and now this Fernandes.

Yes there seems to be a glut of Fernandes strats on ebay UK at the minute, got my eye on one of them :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250214236817&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=015

Hi, here's one with rosewood fretboard :wink: :wink:

Hot Rod

Hot Rod said:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250214236817&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=015

Hot Rod

I thought you meant the same finish with a rosewood board. That would have been a 'must buy'. I am interested to get some more Fernandes strats though, I'm VERY impressed!!

JohnA said:
Hot Rod said:

Hot Rod

I thought you meant the same finish with a rosewood board. That would have been a 'must buy'. I am interested to get some more Fernandes strats though, I'm VERY impressed!!

John, I'm currently looking for a Fernandes or a Tokai strat. I found the link to your sound sample, and that's definitively a great sound and some good playing. I happen to have the chance to buy a Fernandes "The revival" from someone I remotely know. I'm not an expert in MIJ guitars, but I have and Edwards Les Paul copy, and it is really excellent.
Unfortunately, I have no idea as to the fair market value of a "The revival". Do you or does someone else have any idea how much one would have to pay on ebay for a used "the Revival"? I wouldn't call the potential seller a friend of mine, and I do not want to pay a huge amount of money just to find out that I could get the same for 200 Euro less or so on ebay after a week or two.
Thanks, David.

Hello Dave,

this one was sold on Ebay 2 weeks ago !
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300191605195&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

Hope this helps :wink:

Hot Rod

Nice - one of Rupert's. It seems that Rupert has more than one chair!

Interesting that the red one has ceramic pickups and a cheap capacitor - your blonde one has a Vitamin Q cap, and alnico pickups doesn't it John?

Back