Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a Greco SG Junior with one P90 in the bridge?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russian Vadim
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Is there a Greco SG Junior with one P90 in the bridge? Reply with quote

Has it been ever made in 70s-early 80s and finished in nitro? If yes then what model designation would that be?
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one..... 1987 Mint Collection (sorry, I've not put up a proper photo set of the guitar itself)

Russian Vadim
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
I have one..... 1987 Mint Collection.

Thanks Marcus. So that's the only model and year that such a guitar was made? There were red ones too right? What are the specs (or where can I get them)?

For example what model is this one?

le juge
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open O on the Greco logo, this model was made after 1982. No nitro finish on these models.

This model does not appear in the 1982 "mint collection" catalogue.

In the 1990 catalogue, there is one model of Sg Jr : the SJR-600 model

The specifications are (from the 1990 catalogue) :
Mahogany body and neck, rosewood fretboard, polyester finish and a "hot lick" P90 pickup.

I hope this model appears before 1990, and could have a different finish (polyurethane finish) in the mint collection years.
Russian Vadim
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le juge wrote:
Open O on the Greco logo, this model was made after 1982. No nitro finish on these models.

Mahogany body and neck, rosewood fretboard, polyester finish and a "hot lick" P90 pickup.

I hope this model appears before 1990, and could have a different finish (polyurethane finish) in the mint collection years.

That's a damn shame that they weren't finished in nitro. The one above just looks so nice and old. I like the silkscreened logo.

Were 1981 SS500 with two P-90s finished in nitro or poly?

LPjunior
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looker, doubt it's nitro though. The SG's were usually cheaper end of the line so can't imagine any had high specs such as nitro etc. I saw a Greco cherry red SG junior sell on YJ a few days ago for 18K (~$180) kinda wish I'd bid for it as it was in decent condition.

Probably best just stripping a super real series one and refinishing if nitro is that big a deal to you. The finish on them isn't that thick and with no binding shouldn't be too hard a job to scrape it off.

There's a mint collection 2 p90 on YJ at the moment that should go cheap cos of the damage to the finish?? around the neck - could make a nice project to convert to nitro

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b150495187

le juge
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian Vadim wrote:
le juge wrote:

That's a damn shame that they weren't finished in nitro. The one above just looks so nice and old. I like the silkscreened logo.

Were 1981 SS500 with two P-90s finished in nitro or poly?

The SS500 models have a polyurethane finish.
I have one from 1980. Stunning quality and very good P90 pickups.

I can compare the sounds with my '62 Sg Jr and the Greco have a nice vintage tone.
Russian Vadim
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LPjunior wrote:
Nice looker, doubt it's nitro though. The SG's were usually cheaper end of the line so can't imagine any had high specs such as nitro etc. I saw a Greco cherry red SG junior sell on YJ a few days ago for 18K (~$180) kinda wish I'd bid for it as it was in decent condition.

Probably best just stripping a super real series one and refinishing if nitro is that big a deal to you. The finish on them isn't that thick and with no binding shouldn't be too hard a job to scrape it off.

There's a mint collection 2 p90 on YJ at the moment that should go cheap cos of the damage to the finish?? around the neck - could make a nice project to convert to nitro

Yep, I'm also watching that auction. And Was thinking of buying some 50s-60s Gibson P90s to throw in it.

But this is actually a common thing in Guild S-100s (Guild's take on SGs) for finish in the neck joint to crack. It could actually mean that the neck angle shifted though which is not a good thing.

Also the Mint collection Greco SGs were made only in 1987 or were there any made earlier than that?
Perregrintuk
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to track down a Greco SG Jr. finally. Mint Collection and regarding the serial number, year 1987. What a fabulous guitar! It just sing and screams! Awesome guitar...was a loooong hunt!

marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: