First record ever bought?

Discussion that is not Tokai or guitar focused.

Moderator: ned

scunny
Guitar God

First record ever bought?

Post by scunny » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:08 pm

There's a great section in Lost in Music by Giles Smith where he tells of how he claims the first record he ever bought was Let It Be, only to later realise he never owned a copy of it. His mind had kind of edited out the first cheesy records he purchased until it came to something credible that he felt comfortable to admitting to owning... So, 'fess up chaps, what was the first record you ever bought, and the first record you <i>really</i> ever bought?

The Best of New Order - this is the first album I remember buying with my own money...
WWF Stars sing Wrestlemania - This is the first cd I really purchased! :lol:
________
starcraft replays
Last edited by scunny on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadman
Guitar God

Post by Deadman » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:15 pm

Good topic scunny.

First records I ever owned was The Muppet Show album, then 'Hedgehog sandwich', for those of us who remember the show 'Not the nine o' clock news'.
:oops:

My first self-made purchases were singles : 'Ant rap' by Adam and the ants and 'Runaway boys' by The Stray cats.

First LP I ever bought was 'All mod cons' by The Jam.

DaveWW
Guitar God

Post by DaveWW » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:23 pm

Oh the shame................. :oops:

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich - Xanadu ........Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:24 pm

My first record was the LP "Second" by Steppenwolf in 1968 - I was ten years old I still have it.

honeyboy
Guitar God

Post by honeyboy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:18 pm

How cool. My first record was the 'Born to be wild' 45 in '68. I was 10 years old, and I remember trying to get my guitar teacher to help me learn it. No dice. 'Nice boys only play selections from their Mel Bay books.'
'In life, you don't get what you deserve. You get what you negotiate.'

Loudmouse
Guitar God

Post by Loudmouse » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:32 pm

I was lucky in that I had older brothers that bought all the great rock albums and pop singles.
The first one I bought was Parallel Lines by Blondie because it was something different that they didn't listen to.

honeyboy- Remember those great nylon picks that were included in the Mel Bay books? Wish I could find some more of those.

stratmoto
Guitar God

Post by stratmoto » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:57 pm

DaveWW wrote:Oh the shame................. :oops:

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich - Xanadu ........Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
No need for embarrassment, Dave. That whipcrack was cool back then.

First album - Chartbusters of '69. When I got home and played it, I remember the disappointment when I found they were all covers of the originals.

First single- The Who, Won't Get Fooled Again. I remember the stern face of my mum when she heard it. Not impressed. I was, though.

honeyboy
Guitar God

Post by honeyboy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:38 pm

Loudmouse wrote:honeyboy- Remember those great nylon picks that were included in the Mel Bay books? Wish I could find some more of those.
I can't say that I remember getting a pick with those books back in the 60's. I do remember that they were much wider than they were tall. I reckon that was so they would stay open on a music stand.

I am grateful that I was taught from those books. They gave me a good foundation and made me a good reader. It actually came in quite handy at my Berklee placement audition.
'In life, you don't get what you deserve. You get what you negotiate.'

scunny
Guitar God

Post by scunny » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:36 pm

Nah, most of these are way too cool, I think there's some selective memory going on here :wink: Just kidding
________
Yamaha PSR-225
Last edited by scunny on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adrianclark
Guitar God

Post by adrianclark » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:53 am

Uh-oh... :oops:

The very first record I ever bought was a Wombles single. And I liked it so much, I bought another a few weeks later. Well, I was only 5 at the time.

The first album I bought was considerably less cool... a Status Quo compilation when I was 12. I saved up for weeks (do kids know the concept of "saving up" nowadays? :wink:) and played it to death over the next two years.

adrian

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:33 am

honeyboy wrote:
Loudmouse wrote:honeyboy- Remember those great nylon picks that were included in the Mel Bay books? Wish I could find some more of those.
I can't say that I remember getting a pick with those books back in the 60's. I do remember that they were much wider than they were tall. I reckon that was so they would stay open on a music stand.

I am grateful that I was taught from those books. They gave me a good foundation and made me a good reader. It actually came in quite handy at my Berklee placement audition.
My first instructional record and book was "Quick Pickin' and Fun Strummin' with Roy Clark and Buck Owens from Hee Haw.

leadguitar_323
Guitar God

Post by leadguitar_323 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:55 am

I was 11 years old and i heard my teacher play this really cool song so i went out and bought the album..Desolation Boulevard...by "Sweet" The song was " Fox on the run " I still like the song and what about those harmonies............ 8)
so many guitars....so little money...

Ozeshin
Guitar God

Post by Ozeshin » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:37 am

The first Album I was ever given was KISS "Rock and Roll Over"...but the first record I ever paid for out of my own pocket money was Michael Jackson "Ben" :oops:

Outsider
Guitar God

Post by Outsider » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:33 am

My first album was also Kiss - Rock and roll over. The embaressing ones that came after that are too many to mention. It's funny that as a kid you don't think what's cool or not, if you like it you like it and that's it...
Lauri

Tokai Love Rock LS-85 F '05 w/ LOTS of mods

settebello
Guitar God

Post by settebello » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:57 pm

The first record,i've bought was Deep Purple Mark I&II at the age of 12.

Volker