Bacchus BLP-FM Relic Looks Like the Rev's 'Pearly Gates' now with Dry Zs

Discussion area for Bacchus/Momose/Deviser guitars.
guitar hiro
Guitar God

Bacchus BLP-FM Relic Looks Like the Rev's 'Pearly Gates' now with Dry Zs

Post by guitar hiro » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:04 am

I have always been a fan of ZZ Top, their music, Billy Gibbons, and of course the mythical Les Paul that Billy received from Dusty & Frank decades ago, 'Pearly Gates.'

I have also been a big fan of many Japanese made guitars over the years, Bacchus being one of the many brands. I have seen a few Bacchus BLS & BLP models over the years, was digging around on the web, and I spotted something interesting.

I spotted a Bacchus Classic BLP-STD FM Relic that looks more like the Rev's 'Pearly Gates' than any other Bacchus I have seen. It's not exact but it's fairly close. It is an interesting maple top, to say the least.

Check the link below & check the fourth guitar from the bottom, H00832. What do you think; look like 'Pearly Gates' just a little? Cheers

https://www.deviser-bacchus.com/2011/09 ... %E6%88%90/
Last edited by guitar hiro on Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wulfman
Guitar God

Post by wulfman » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:06 pm

I almost grabbed that from the seller.Beautiful top on that one.

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:50 pm

I purchased the next to last example, H00831 :D

wulfman
Guitar God

Post by wulfman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Good choice, lovely top on that one.

brokentoes
Guitar God

Post by brokentoes » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:14 pm

Nicely done !!

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:03 am

I noticed the link above from 2011 & several other older Bacchus links are now inaccessible :-?

It seems like they scrubbed their web site of any Gibson style product

Oh well, H00831 is now officially on US soil :) probably in US Customs

I sure would like to get my hands on H00832 :lol:
Last edited by guitar hiro on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:32 am

Hard to believe it's been a year since my Bacchus BLP-FM Relic arrived :)

What a great Les Paul & I put it right up there with my (first run) Momose MLS-STD/J & my (other) custom order MIJ LPs too. :D

The bonus is the one piece mahogany back is highly figured, with some flame too 8) and the maple top looks so authentic; best I have ever seen on any Bacchus, period.

I am one lucky bitch :lol:

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Re: Bacchus BLP-FM Relic Looks Like the Rev's 'Pearly Gates'

Post by guitar hiro » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:13 am

This awesome Bacchus Classic Series BLP-FM Relic came to me nearly two years ago with Seymour Duncan pickups which I am not a fan of.
Recently I have been transitioning several LP type guitars that came to me without the original pickups, with pickups more to my preference.
So, after nearly two years of tolerating the Duncans I'm gonna throw a matched set of Greco Dry Z from 1981 in the BLP-FM. :)

Recently I changed out the Classic 57s that were in my Momose MLS with a matched set of Bacchus VH-59s from a 1998 BLS-120 BR-OIL.
These are the ones with the zebra bobbins that never had (factory) covers installed.
The VH-59s are now over 20 years old, magnets are likely degaussed a good bit, and they sound like they were made to be in the Momose.
Don't think I could be happier with the sonic results & the zebra bobbins look pretty nice to boot. 8)
The guitar is also 2 ounces lighter now; a weight savings provided by the two VH-59s without covers.

Hoping I obtain such a favorable result with the BLP & the Dry Z combination. We shall see.

EDIT: the BLP-FM Relic has early/old school SDs: a SD 'Duncan Custom' in the neck position (ceramic mag) & a SD 'The JB Model' (Alnico 5) in the bridge position. Both have the 4 conductor lead. No wonder I didn't like these crappy things. :lol:
Greco Dry Zs going in tomorrow 8)
A = Alnico :lol:

Well, the reason I like PAFs is because they are the most single coil sounding of the buckers - Possum

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Re: Bacchus BLP-FM Relic Looks Like the Rev's 'Pearly Gates'

Post by guitar hiro » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:26 pm

Finally got the 1981 Dry Z matched set installed in the 2011 Bacchus BLP-STD FM Relic.
I forgot how clean (dry) & articulate the Dry Z is & also when you turn it up it gets mean & dirty too. :D
These are so different than the SDs; I will need to leave the Zs in for some time to evaluate how well they pair with the Bacchus.
Also need to check the pots, as they seem like they may be linear taper; I hope not.

Well, the reason I like PAFs is because they are the most single coil sounding of the buckers - Possum

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Re: Bacchus BLP-FM Relic Looks Like the Rev's 'Pearly Gates' now with Dry Zs

Post by guitar hiro » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:52 pm

I did a lot of digging on the 'interwebz' and it seems there is some consensus that the Dry Z have Alnico 3 magnets.
It would seem the Dry Z has a fairly lower output & DCR.
I suppose this could account for my perception of the pots functioning differently once I installed the Dry Z set but I am used to higher output 'buckers.
After a few days of playing the Bacchus with the Dry Z set I am very happy with the result; the Dry Zs will be staying in the BLP-FM Relic for a very long time. 8)