ST 100 '83 Goldstar

Music stores and pawn shops where Tokai guitars have been spotted for sale. New or used.

Moderators: ian, ned

CrusHtone
Plucker
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:17 am
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Contact:

This is getting to be a lot of fun now!

Post by CrusHtone » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:30 am

Greetings,

Gabe wrote:
So is this guitar nitro or poly Richard? It will help us if you shed alittle more light (black of course) on the subject. Gabe.
So sorry, for some silly reason I thought I had answered this. It is indeed nitrocellulose.


Mike wrote:
With regard to the decal looking wrong, as though it was applied later, well maybe it was, or maybe it wasn't. I haven't seen that on a Goldie before, but I have seen it on Springys. In fact one or two of the Springys that togps sold a few months ago on eBay had a decal that looked very similar in the way it had aged.
The decal doesn't bother me at all. To me it looks right on. I have seen many a Fender that has a decal that has aged this way. In fact, I have a very good friend who is definitely in the top tier of guitar experts in the world, who was visiting me over the weekend, and he mentioned the logo himself how he actually liked the look of it, the way it had aged.
As to what Tokai thought they were copying, I would guess a 1954 Strat, though Tokai did tend to get some silly details wrong whilst getting most things spot on - they were funny like that. If the metal scratchplate is supposed to be a copy of the annodised aluminium that Leo used briefly in 1954, a round string tree would be correct for the period - Fender used them until 1955.
The metal guard was available through 1960. The 3 tone burst first appeared in 1959. The round string tree as well as 4 digit serial number was very early, definitely gone by 1959.


I also forgot to mention that the jack plate is also, NOT gold.

I am having quite a bit of fun here.

Kind regards,
Richard

stratman323

Re: This is getting to be a lot of fun now!

Post by stratman323 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:45 am

CrusHtone wrote: It is indeed nitrocellulose.
Well if that's true, that contradicts what a number of experts on here have said. I have been told by a few people on here that NO Goldies had a nitro finish. Sounds like you're re-writing the Tokai history book here!
The decal doesn't bother me at all. To me it looks right on. I have seen many a Fender that has a decal that has aged this way
And some of the worst (or best, if you like that yellowed look) examples are on some of the Fender Custom Shop models.

This has proved to be a rather interesting & informative thread. I wasn't aware of the metal guard being used by Fender till 1960, but I do know that the round string tree ended around 1955.

Mike

bluejeannot
Guitar God
Posts: 1667
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:50 am
Location: London

Post by bluejeannot » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:02 am

The cat is truly now amongst the pigeons! Isn`t it time togps,and villager descended from their frosty olympian hights and put in an appearance on this forum?Or is this discussion only fit for us minor mortals? Gabe.
bluejeannot

leadguitar_323
Guitar God
Posts: 3534
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia

Post by leadguitar_323 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:34 pm

Hello all, I don't believe that there is anyone on this forum that knows without doubt everything about Tokai guitars. There are oddball guitars popping up all the time. I have an "ls 120" gold top from 2003, no such thing i hear you say, well it isn't a ls 145 because it has a 2 piece back and it isn't a ls 85 because it has a long tenon neck joint, so its one of those ones that everyone will have an opinion on but it is a custom order and its quite possible that the st 100 is a similar creature.........cheers Mick
so many guitars....so little money...

bluejeannot
Guitar God
Posts: 1667
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:50 am
Location: London

Re: This is getting to be a lot of fun now!

Post by bluejeannot » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:02 pm

So is this guitar nitro or poly Richard? It will help us if you shed alittle more light (black of course) on the subject. Gabe.
So sorry, for some silly reason I thought I had answered this. It is indeed nitrocellulose.






I also forgot to mention that the jack plate is also, NOT gold

"Curiouser,and curiouser,said Alice". You must come on the forum more often Mike, it really messes with our minds! Gabe.
bluejeannot

bluejeannot
Guitar God
Posts: 1667
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:50 am
Location: London

Post by bluejeannot » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:05 pm

I mean Richard of course, who am I? where am I? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bluejeannot

leadguitar_323
Guitar God
Posts: 3534
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia

Post by leadguitar_323 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
so many guitars....so little money...

marcusnieman
Guitar God
Posts: 9110
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Post by marcusnieman » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:57 am

stratman323 wrote:Where can one purchase a blacklight? :o We should have a forum blacklight in every country - could save a lot of arguments!

Mike
Most head shops have them....

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:32 am

Sorry, what's a head shop?

I asked the (black) guy at my local electrical shop if they had any black lights, and I think he thought that I was taking the p*** at first! All he could suggest was some sort of UV light?

Mike

JohnA
Guitar God
Posts: 4176
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:49 am
Location: Leicester UK

Post by JohnA » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:34 am

Mike,

UV light is what you want, if you try a photography shop (Jessops) they should be able to sort you out, or everyones best friend ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25W-BC-Energy-Sav ... dZViewItem

marcusnieman
Guitar God
Posts: 9110
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Post by marcusnieman » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:49 am

stratman323 wrote:Sorry, what's a head shop?

I asked the (black) guy at my local electrical shop if they had any black lights, and I think he thought that I was taking the p*** at first! All he could suggest was some sort of UV light?

Mike
Sorry for the slang terminology - a head shop is where one buys things such as rolling papers, pipes, bongs, planting and growing supplies, detox products and assorted other paraphernalia for um, how shall I say this.......mind enhancing hobbies or lifestyles. :wink:

Black lights are the purple colored flourescent light tubes that illuminate those groovy old glow in the dark posters, paint, your teeth and white tshirts. Makes everything that's white glow a bright white/blue in the dark. They really don't throw off any illumination - just a limited spectrum color. While they do work to a degree in lighted conditions, they work best in dark rooms or areas.

Also, some strip clubs have carpet with designs on them that glow in the dark thanks to black lights.......but who's looking at the carpet? (Well at least THAT carpet?)
Last edited by marcusnieman on Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rossi
Guitar God
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:15 pm
Location: uk

Post by Rossi » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:01 pm

YEA MAN :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

CrusHtone
Plucker
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:17 am
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Contact:

Shameful confession

Post by CrusHtone » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:31 pm

Hello all,

Ok, I broke a golden rule in forum and vintage guitar descriptions. The story of my shame follows:

First of all, I had "assumed" (and you all know what that does) that the guitar in question had a nitro finish; First of all, because I bought it as a model 100. And second, because it looks like it. So, the other night when I saw Gabe's post, "So is this guitar nitro or poly Richard?" I said to myself, "Self!?" you have assumed this guitar to be nitro, but have you verified it? The answer to self was, "no". Unfortunately, The alleged "black light" I had been bragging about was in the possession of the band I manage. They borrowed it to verify the authenticity of the tickets for the show we did Friday the 26th, and I had not retrieved it. So, in my zealous haste (because this is so stinking much fun) to answer Gabe, I went and gathered all of my Tokai Strats together and examined them side by side. Some are known to be Nitro, and some Poly. I put this one in the former category. It looks more like the nitro models than it does the poly models, plain and simple. Still, there was that dreaded seed of doubt left in my mind.

So I did retrieve my black light and went straight way to test the validity of my proclamation to all of you. And to my utter horror, she did not pass the audition. That's right folks, just like a cheap date, she is definitely and most assuredly clothed in poly.

Now that that is out in the open, you may ask, don't you feel better? Well, I do, in that I have come clean. But I am still reeling from the fact that I published on this forum a unverified fact as if it were verified. In retrospect, I should have been transparent to you, and let you in on the whole story at that time, and let you know I would check my claim later.

All I can do is ask the forums forgiveness, and promise not to let it happen again.

On to other things; Mainly for the interest of the forum to study, I have updated the extra pictures, namely the one of the trem block that was requested, although, I should have cleaned the dust off so you can see it. If anyone wants me to take another picture of it clean, I will be glad to do it. That being said, I want everyone to know that I have decided to pull my auction. I am leaving it up right now as a display. But I will pull it before it ends. The reasons are, there is just too much controversy surrounding this guitar in its current description. And secondly, I was not very keen on selling it in the first place, and now I have grown even more fond of it.

I have received a lot correspondence expressing interest in buying this guitar. And I really do appreciate it. I may change my mind later on and offer it up again with a correct description, including the knowledge gained in the discussion on this forum. In the meantime, I have identified other guitars that I can offer for sale to give me a little room. Unfortunately for most of you forum junkies, only one will be a Tokai, and it is a AST-62.

My summary on the guitar:

I had waited to hear from any that want to express them selves on this thread. Now here is what I think. Remember, I said I didn't take the neck off originally because I said it didn't look like it had ever been off. I am more convinced of that than ever now. When I took it off, the screws looked unmolested, and were very tight all the way out. I don't know if you know what I mean. But I have taken many necks off of vintage Fenders, and there is something about a virgin. I am not against taking necks off, and in this case it was definitely warranted. But I don't generally take them off for fun, or general interest. I think I can tell most of the time when one has not been taken off. I have also seen many times in the past where someone has damaged the finish taking them off, particularly on old nitro.

Therefore, I believe this is original, with the exceptions of string tree and two trem block springs. It may have been a special order with the metal guard. But never the less, I believe it is original to it. The only reservation is the bridge plate and jack plate. They are absolutely chrome. The tuners are very faded gold tone. But I have never seen any gold hardware fade this way. Not chipped off, just faded. Weird if you ask me. I looked with magnification at the saddles. I am just not sure. It is possible, that just like Gabe told me, ?it is maybe somewhat of a bitsocaster?. We may never know everything about this guitar, but that is part of the fun.

I do have the book that was mentioned. I have a friend from Japan, and as soon as I get some time I am taking it to him and see if I can get more information.

Well, enough rambling on out of me. Thanks for everyone's input and help. I can't wait till the next one.

Kind regards,
Richard

P.S. Shameless Plug: I am looking for very light, all original, high end LS and Vee models. Condition is not as important as originality.

bluejeannot
Guitar God
Posts: 1667
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:50 am
Location: London

Post by bluejeannot » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:10 pm

May I say Richard,It`s been an a privelige and a pleasure daeling with some one as honest,witty and knowledgeable as yourself on this forum, in a way I`me sorry it`s over,but at least I`ll be able to get some sleep now, and my wife willbe able to have a conversation with me without me drifting off into Goldstar Mystery Land. Don`t leave it so long next time.If their was a TokaiForum Member of the Month competition you`d have surely won it hands down! With great respect,and good wishes,Gabe. p.s isn`t this the best guitar forum in the world?
bluejeannot

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:25 am

marcusnieman wrote: Sorry for the slang terminology - a head shop is where one buys things such as rolling papers, pipes, bongs, planting and growing supplies, detox products and assorted other paraphernalia for um, how shall I say this.......mind enhancing hobbies or lifestyles. :wink:
OMG! Drugs? Strippers? In Texas? I'm shocked.... I thought you guys just sat on your back porches and played blues?

:wink:

Suddenly I feel rather naive :oops:

Mike

Post Reply