ST 100 '83 Goldstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am by no means an expert on any brand but having said that, I am wondering (1) why there is no legible photo of the serial numbered neck plate (2) why there seems to be such little description of the guitar, in the listing (3) odds of the aluminun pick guard being original are likely very low

I would imagine that an instrument of that age would show some signs of pick guard wear, just below the small E, such as in the below photo
Goldie59.jpg

kmarccoco said:
when a black light is used on a nitro finish, what are we supposed to see?

Nitro tends to glow because of suspended microscopic compostion of the lacquer. Poly finishes don't have as much of that glowy effect. Poly just plain "feels" different enough and isn't as friendly to resand and buff.

Usually refinishes will show up with extra bits of crap that only the most extreme work can remove. Imperfections glow like beacons. tiny bits of leftover original finish tend to stand out as blemishes. areas of overspray will glow different as well and usally the feathered edges stand out.

bluejeannot said:
Guitars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gabe.
???...

here is a picture of the neck, and then the body on my st 80...completely dark room with only black light.. neck glowed really green, except where worn through the finish, and body glowed a bit green, but not as much as neck... so does it look like nitro is supposed too under black light?

10-30-07_003.jpg

10-30-07_005.jpg

kmarccoco, you have an 86 Fender US 62RI, same as I do. There's no real doubt that these models are all nitro, so how about a pic of that to compare with the ST80?

Mike

"It's well know that genuine Virgin Marys had a thin skin nitro finish, cheaper copies used poly......"

MIke

MIJvintage said:
Those would actually be the Virgin Mary Kays :eek: ..........................

Ah, so the Virgin Mary Kaye was a blonde decorated with gold....? :eek:

Mike

kmarccoco said:
when a black light is used on a nitro finish, what are we supposed to see?
Dark matter, apparently the universe is full of it, and some say our politicians are too! Gabe.

ok, :D , this statue of the Virgin Mary in Sacramento California made world news a year ago because of the tear that appeared to come from her left eye. you can see it on her left cheek...no blacl light needed :D

23243121_2120.jpg

kmarccoco, you have an 86 Fender US 62RI, same as I do. There's no real doubt that these models are all nitro, so how about a pic of that to compare with the ST80?

hi mike, i did. the blue '62 re issue showed up the green hue, but was easy to see because its solid blue. the sunburst st 80 showed that green hue really good in the dark edges, but was a bit lighter where the yellow sunburst color was.. the sunburst area did have the green hue but alot lighter.. ken

Kinda funny...
Because we can't (or me should I say?) afford a real Fender Vintage Strat, we are quibling about these Jap strats weather or not they are Nitro or not and Virgin Mary? It's just a strat :oops:

You want a killer strat with Nitro?
1997 Fender Collectors Edition will fit the ticket-Modeled after a 1962 Slab board Fender Strat with Gold Hardware and Texass Special Pickups-
Now there's a Strat to Quible about-->> Nitro too.....

Hmmm. Gold hardware? Looks fine till you play it, and sweat on it.... It ages very quickly, and looks bad when it's worn, unlike nickel, or even chrome.

And Texas Specials are a very mixed blessing. I liked them at first, but in comparison to my other Strats, I realised that they lacked sparkle and that indefinable "twang" that defines a great Strat. They sounded muddy, and surprisingly weak too, so I took them off and replaced them with the stock US vintage re-issue pickups. Much better. :p

Mike

Back