Jazz Sound players chime in please!

Area for Tokai's older than 1985

Moderators: ian, ned

PhunkyBass
Plucker

Jazz Sound players chime in please!

Post by PhunkyBass » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:55 pm

My first post - Joy.

So back in 87 or 88 I purchased a 7okai Jazz Sound - Oldie But Goodie. I was pretty new to bass and I thought the sound was cool. Plus at $150
it was in my budget.

I since have been able to spend a bit more on basses. Cant quite lay the cash for a vintage '62 - '64 jazz, but I must admitt I haven't played a single coil as sweet as this "jap knock-off." New USA Fenders and G&L included. Havnt had the pleasure of trying a vintage Jazz.

When I bought it the dude said it was an '81 and everythiong I've researched seems to agree with that which I guess makes it a vintage itself. The value has not increased like a Fenders, but I care more about sound anyway.

My question to you: Are you a big fan of your Jazz Sound? Is it your main single coil axe? What year is yours and how do you know?

Thanks all.
Thump Thump Pop Thump Growl Thump

ian
Guitar God

Post by ian » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:29 am

Hi PhunkyBass ? I know zilch about Bass, but just wanted to say Hi & Welcome to the forum (quite like bass on jazz/funk stuff though) :-? .

Sounds like you?ve already checked the logo, but if it?s thin script-style (so called ?spaghetti-logo?) then 81 sounds about right ? at least that?s the case on 6-strings (logo changed to block style in 83). Nice guitar, more interesting & unusual than 81 Fender me thinks 8) .

Ian.

tokaiguy
Guitar God

Post by tokaiguy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:03 am

:o And a much closer "Replica" of a Vintage Fender Jazz Bass than what Fender was making at the same time! :D And Welcome!! 8) TG